Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for an Assistant Director of Nursing to join our team of healthcare professionals at Northern Regional Jail and Correctional Center in Moundsville, West Virginia.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
The Assistant Director of Nursing (ADON) is responsible for assisting in structuring, implementing, and maintaining the Nursing services program that guides the delivery of a quality health care program. Provides leadership to Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, Nursing Assistants and other nursing paraprofessionals in the delivery of patient care.
- Provides leadership to RNs, LPNs, CNAs and other nursing paraprofessionals in the delivery of patient care.
- Promotes good working relationships among staff and between disciplines and departments.
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with patients, visitors, and medical and correctional personnel.
- Identifies existing and potential problems, and takes effective action.
- Supervises staff; completes and delivers individual performance reviews, and deliver corrective action to subordinate, when necessary.
- Assists with labor and budget management.
- Assesses, plans, and delivers nursing care to inmates, and assist in minor medical or surgical procedures.
- Passes medications and other medical items safely within the housing unit and conduct medical screening, when necessary. Implements medical plan through administering medications in accordance with physician's orders.
- Coordinates multiple medical services for diagnostic and treatment as directed by the Medical Director, Physician, Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner.
- Administers medications including IV therapy and IM injections and all other approved routes of administration per provider’s orders.
- Assists in screening of emergencies for necessity and priority for referral to physician or Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner and conducts daily sick call screening.
- Assesses physical, psychological and psychosocial dimensions of patients within the health care unit and, as necessary, in the housing units.
- Intervenes with proper techniques, procedures and safety precautions utilizing aseptic technique and infection control to meet individual needs of patients.
- Implements an Individual Treatment Program in the health care unit and, as necessary, in the housing units.
- Implements clinical and technical aspects of care in accordance with established nursing policies and procedures.
- Provides a written assessment of patient on admission, during confinement and on discharge as requested.
- Promotes quality assurance standards by participating in the quality of chart audits.
- Reports all medical and/or security incidents to his/her immediate supervisor and appropriate correctional staff and completes written incident reports.
- Summarizes assessment data, and makes a triage decision which is documented and communicated to other patient care providers.
- Utilizes available treatment protocols as written by the Medical Director.
- Maintains patients’ electronic medical records in the appropriate format.
- Applies knowledge and utilizes available resources in planning care and patient teaching.
- Presents/participates in in-service education sessions.
- Communicates information to ancillary departments using established referral process. Plans and implements program to meet identified needs through in-service attendance and other format and informal means.
- Accepts staffing assignments and performs other related duties as required or assigned by the Nurse Supervisor.
- Performs within the normal limits of the State Nurse Practice Act, Code of Ethics for Nurses and Wexford Health and facility policies, procedures and standards.
- Be capable of giving CPR instructions and ability to take charge in a CPR emergency.
- Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to the Health Services Administrator and/or Director of Nursing.
- Respond to inmate, staff or visitor medical emergencies and provide appropriate first aid or triage.
- Comply with the correctional facility’s policies and procedures
- Supports philosophy, objectives and goals of nursing department.
- Approaches change in a positive manner.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting within a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmate patients, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel throughout region is required.
LICENSING: Unrestricted West Virginia Registered Nursing license.
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification.
EDUCATION: Graduate of an accredited nursing school; BSN, Preferred.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Minimum of two (2) years of administrative and/or correctional nursing experience.
OTHER PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- General math and analytical skills
- Planning and organizational skills