Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a full-time Charge RN to join our team of healthcare professionals at Centralized Booking & Intake Facility in Baltimore, MD.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
The Charge Nurse is responsible for the delivery of patient care through the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. Also directs and guides patient teaching activities and ancillary personnel while maintaining standards of professional nursing.
Patient Health Assessment:
- Assess physical, psychological and psychosocial dimensions of patients within the HealthCare Unit and, as necessary, in the housing units.
- Apply knowledge of illnesses, injuries and diseases and use available resources during the assessment process to obtain health history.
- Provide a written assessment of patient on admission, during confinement and on discharge as requested.
- Summarize assessment data and make a triage decision which is documented and communicated to other patient care providers.
- Plan an individual treatment program.
- Utilize available treatment protocols as written by the Medical Director.
- Utilize referral process to appropriate health care providers as necessary.
Patient Education & Care:
- Apply knowledge and utilize available resources in planning care and patient education.
- Implement an Individual Treatment Program in the Health Care Unit and, as necessary, in the housing units.
- Implement clinical and technical aspects of care in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Intervene with proper techniques, procedures and safety precautions utilizing aseptic technique and infection control to meet individual needs of patients. Implements medical plan through administering medications in accordance with physician’s orders.
- Intervene by administering medications according to proper techniques and procedures, including IV therapy, and all other approved routes of administration.
- Utilize pharmacology knowledge and available resources to include drug reaction and overdose information in administering medications.
- Implement medical plans through obtaining diagnostic tests in accordance with physician’s orders. Intervene by obtaining body fluid specimens and performing EKG’s using proper techniques and procedures.
- Assist the physician or physician assistant in medical or minor surgical procedures as necessary and/or requested to meet individual needs of patients.
- Implement nutrition and therapeutic diet plan as ordered by physician or physician assistant.
Create a cohesive work environment using effective team work & communication:
- Communicate information to ancillary departments using established referral process.
- Consult as necessary with other nurses, physician assistants, physicians, correctional officers, etc.
- Communicate information to other nursing staff, Health Care Unit physicians, physician assistants, Health Care Unit supervisory personnel, and department correctional officers and departments.
- Respect the dignity and confidentiality of patients.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with staff, patients, visitors, and medical and correctional personnel.
Leadership Role and Duties:
- Supervise Registered Nurse personnel; provide direction and guidance to nursing staff.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and performance of nursing policies and procedures.
- Support philosophy, objectives and goals of nursing department.
- Accept staffing assignments and perform other related duties as required or assigned by the Assistant Director of Nursing/Director of Nursing.
- Performs within the normal limits of the State Nurse Practice Act, Code of Ethics for Nurses and Wexford Health and facility policies, procedures and standards.
- Promote good working relationships among staff and between other disciplines and departments.
- Supervise and strive for excellence in patient care by challenging and correcting errors of nursing staff to ensure the safety and well-being of the patient.
- Identifies existing and potential problems and takes effective action.
- Develop and maintain an awareness of needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment and supplies and make recommendations to supervisors
- As requested, assist in the presentation of in-service education.
- Assume individual accountability for own conduct and maintenance of professional appearance.
- Promote quality assurance standards by participating in the quality of chart audits.
- Document nursing encounters utilizing the Problem Oriented Medial Records format of charting as required by the facility.
- Participate in a company and state approved CQI Program.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
LICENSING: Maryland Registered Nurse License required
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR Certification
EDUCATION: Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing
- Minimum of three (3) years of clinical experience preferred
- Correctional Experience preferred
OTHER PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- General math and analytical skills, and planning, administrative and organizational skills essential.
- Demonstrated experience meeting multiple deadlines.
- Ability to competently manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment.
- Must be able assist staff with various policies, administrative and organizational projects.
- Must be a "Team-player" as this position requires daily coordination with other coworkers.