Wexford of Indiana, one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford has an exceptional opportunity for a Part Time Dental Assistant to join our team of healthcare professionals at Pendleton Correctional Facility in Pendleton, Indiana.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through BlueCross BlueShield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Under direct supervision of the Dentist, performs non-professional work assisting the Dentist during examination and treatment of patients and in the routine handling of instruments and supplies.
- Maintains supplies, materials and records of treatment.
- Sets up instruments, equipment and supplies as directed by the Dentist or Dental Hygienist.
- Prepares the patient for treatment.
- Helps patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment.
- Ensures proper clean up, packaging and sterilizing of instruments.
- Assists in instruction of patients in proper dental hygiene
- Assists in screenings for dental emergencies and sick call.
- Provides chair-side assistance by keeping operating field clear, passing instruments and suctioning.
- Scrubs and sterilizes instruments and equipment, including developer, autoclave, lights, dental unit, and x-ray unit film processor as required.
- Mixes restorative materials.
- Assists in taking intra-oral x-rays in accordance with proper radiological hygiene.
- Develops and mounts x-ray films.
- Performs intra-oral tasks as defined by law.
- Maintains x-ray unit, processor, autoclave and dental unit according to specifications.
- Inventories supplies and equipment to maintain adequate levels.
- Orders supplies and equipment as needed.
- Ensures there is sufficient number of trays set up for the day’s patients, pulpotomy, caries control, amalgam and Perio/scaling.
- Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of dental clinic.
- Performs administrative tasks including maintaining dental charts; recording dental findings; scheduling patients for dental appointments; preparing patient’s schedule for escort officer; maintaining all dental logs; and inputting information into appropriate computer record.
- Changes wet tank chemicals and submits report to the Health Services Administrator and Dentist.
- Responsible for dental office security to include instrument, drug and needle counts. Maintains constant alertness to conditions that might endanger the security of the institution, personnel and inmates.
- Conforms to Wexford Health and facility regulations as appropriate, to include, but not be limited to personal appearance, schedule/timesheet, safety and security regulations, procedure for PTO and continuing education.
- Maintains confidentiality of inmate records.
- Accepts constructive criticism in stressful situations.
- Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to the Dentist.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Dental clinic setting within the correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
- Expanded Functions OR Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) Certification
- Dental Radiology Certification (if not included in above certification)
- Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: High School graduate or GED certificate.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Experience working in a dental setting and/or correctional health care preferred.
OTHER PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to maintain regular and reliable attendance
- Flexible, dependable, and reliable
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates knowledge of dental policies and procedures
- Ability to competently manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to work in a stressful environment
- Support philosophy, objectives and goals of the dental department
- Assume individual accountability for own conduct and maintenance of professional appearance
- Approach change in a positive manner
- Must be able assist staff with various policies, administrative and organizational projects. "team-player" as this position requires daily coordination with other coworkers.