Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Director of Nursing – Mental Health to join our team of healthcare professionals at Joliet Correctional Center in Joliet, Illinois.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Under the direct supervision of the Site Mental Health Services Director, has the authority, responsibility and accountability for structuring, comprehensive planning and implementing the Mental Health Nursing Services Program that guides the delivery of a quality mental health care program.
- Provides direct supervision of Mental Health nursing staff including hiring, scheduling, assigning duties, evaluating, disciplining, adjusting grievances and discharging.
- Provides input on proposals for collective bargaining.
- Receives and reviews daily crisis intervention and infirmary reports.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all Mental Health Administrative Directives.
- Manages and delegates all mental health nursing functions within the residential care unit.
- Coordinates and provides quality mental health orientations and in-service trainings.
- Coordinates and monitors requirements for continuing education.
- Maintains working knowledge of psychotropic medications, their potential side effects and drug interactions.
- Provides direction/oversight of mental health nursing staff ensuring proper administration of medications, knowledge of psychotropic medication, their potential side effects and drug interactions, offender care, and maintenance of mental health records according to the standards of quality care.
- Maintains working knowledge of social and behavioral sciences, particularly as applied to the correctional setting.
- Maintains and ensures confidentiality of mental health patient documentation.
- Provides guidance to the mental health nursing staff in managing both chronic and acute mental health patient care challenges.
- Maintains working knowledge of psychiatric diagnoses, their presenting risk factors and corresponding symptomology per the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual.
- Maintains working knowledge of evidence-based practices.
- Participates in planning, priority setting and the development of policies and procedures for mental health care activities that are in compliance with contractual requirements, the Department of Corrections and national standards.
- Develops, implements and evaluates the philosophy, goals and objectives of the Mental Health Program.
- Notifies the WHS Staffing Department of vacant or upcoming vacant positions in a timely manner and actively assists the Staffing Department in the filling of vacant positions.
- Is familiar with overtime and commodities budgets and works to remain within budget.
- Notifies Site Manager or Site MH Services Director of staffing variances related to the Schedule E.
- Obtains approval of Wexford Health Administration and IDOC prior to exceeding staffing hours as stipulated in the Schedule E or ASR (Adjusted Services Request).
- Strives to ensure 100% compliance of Schedule E and ASR staffing hours.
- Complies with and enforces Wexford Health/Facility Policy and Procedures and ensures subordinate compliance.
- Is familiar with all aspects of the Wexford Health/AFSCME Collective Bargaining Agreement and operates consistent with the language as interpreted by Wexford Health Administration.
- Prepares and submits monthly reports as requested by WHS or IDOC Administration.
- Conducts regular meetings with mental health nursing staff as required per Company/Facility policies.
- Acts as administrator on call for mental health nursing emergencies or staff needs.
- Member of the Quality Assurance Committee.
- Develops and maintains appropriate staffing schedule for Division of Mental Health Nursing Services in accordance with contract terms of mental health nursing coverage. Responsible for making changes in time schedules and granting special requests for time off, if applicable.
- Serves as representative for, and/or liaison between, Mental Health Nursing services and other health care providers, as well as Health Care Unit Administrator, and coordinates patient care with other departments.
- Remains visible and is responsive to all medical disciplines.
- Prepares and conducts employee evaluations designed to improve performance, work conditions and maintenance of accurate patient care.
- Maintains good relationships with community organizations.
- Keeps abreast and follows through on incidents occurring on all shifts.
- Is available for conferences on all shifts.
- Counsels mental health nursing personnel in following established protocols and procedures.
- Ensures all communicable diseases are reported to the local/state health authorities as appropriate or required.
- Reviews all discrepancies in sharps and tool counts, investigates, reconciles and applies appropriate corrective action.
- Reviews all medication errors, investigates, reconciles and applies appropriate corrective action.
- Responds to offender grievances as requested.
- Assesses established policies and reviews policies as needed.
- Make suggestions for improving work conditions to the Site MH Services Director.
- Accepts constructive criticism, maintains professionalism in stressful situations, and approaches change in a positive manner.
- Communicates information in a professional and respectful manner promoting good working relationships across disciplines.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
The physical demands that are described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, to hear and to see, to stand, walk, and sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, instruments or controls, to reach with hands and arms, to stoop or crouch, balance and kneel, may be required to lift and/or move objects. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. This position may require rotating assignments, operating on a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week schedule where employee is subject to working non-traditional hours, either voluntarily or via mandate, on occasion as needed. Employee may be exposed to a challenging environment, which may include exposure to bloodborne and airborne pathogens, verbal and physical assault, and loud noises.
Standard medical setting within a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmate patients, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required.
LICENSING: Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Illinois.
- Certified as a Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse or obtains certification within 1 year of employment.
- Health Care Provider CPR certification.
- Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing with minimum of Associate Degree in Nursing.
- Bachelors’ Degree preferred.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: 2 years as a practicing Registered Nurse with a minimum of 1 year in Mental Health Nursing.