Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Site Mental Health Services Director to join our team of healthcare professionals at Menard CC in Menard, Illinois.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Provides guidance, direction, training and clinical supervision to all Mental Health Professionals (MHPs), except for psychiatrists, within the facility of responsibility. Ensures that said Staff are compliant with all applicable agency, facility and Wexford Health Sources (WHS) policies and procedures, corporate protocols and ethical and professional standards.
- Provides direct supervision of site Mental Health staff including hiring, scheduling, assigning duties, evaluating performance, disciplining, adjusting grievances and discharging.
- Provides input on proposals for collective bargaining.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with Wardens, Assistant Wardens, Health Care Unit Administrators, Mental Health Administrators and other (IDOC) facility management officials.
- Responds in a timely manner to requests for information or assistance
- Serves as a resource to the Wexford Health Chief of Psychiatry relative to non-clinical aspects of psychiatric and telepsychiatric services at IDOC facilities.
- Participates in Regional Team meetings and teleconferences as requested.
- Ensures the Vice-President of Operations, Regional Mental Health Director, Regional Mental Health Administrators, Chief Psychiatrist and applicable IDOC Administrative staff are apprised of all critical mental health-related incidents or developments at assigned facilities.
- Attends Quality Improvement meetings and is a member as assigned or requested.
- Collects data and generate reports as required or requested.
- Ensures clinical and facility-based orientation of newly employed MHPs.
- Ensures MHPs have a satisfactory understanding of all applicable Administrative and Institutional Directives, ACA/NCCHC Standards, and Wexford Health Behavioral Health protocols.
- Reviews, no less than every six (6) months, the medical charts of at least ten (10) offenders on each MHP’s caseload to assess the adequacy of treatment plans, progress notes and other documentation; provide remedial feedback and training as required.
- Conducts no less than quarterly in-service training for all MHPs regarding clinical issues of concern to IDOC Director of Mental Health, facility and WHS administrators or the MHPs themselves.
- Provides guidance and direction to MHPs relative to Crisis Intervention Team training and leadership.
- Assists MHPs in the development and operation of psychoeducational and psychotherapy groups.
- Offers assistance and support to MHPs in their preparation for mental health monitoring visits, internal and external audits, and peer reviews.
- Ensures MHPs develop and maintain effective and efficient mental health delivery record-keeping and data management systems.
- Assists in the training of Wexford Health and IDOC non-clinical staff as requested or as necessary.
- Holds meetings, at least monthly, with all staff.
- Conducts or participates in pre-employment interviews with candidates for position vacancies as necessary
- Serves as the facility “on call” MHP when necessary.
- Participates in mortality review meetings in the event of offender suicides.
- Remains visible and is responsive to all IDOC, WHS and Health Care Unit disciplines.
- Supports and participates in evaluation designed to improve work conditions and patient care. Evaluates employees’ performance and maintains quality care.
- Participates in, as requested, and maintains good relationship with community organizations.
- Keeps abreast and follows through on incidents occurring on all shifts.
- Is available for conferences on all shifts.
- Responds to offender grievances as requested.
- Assesses established policies and reviews policies as needed.
- Maintain the confidentiality of offender records.
- Approach change in a positive manner.
- Make suggestions for improving work conditions to immediate Supervisor
- Accepts constructive criticism and maintains professionalism in stressful situations
- Develops implements and evaluates philosophy, goals and objectives.
- Ensures services are consistent with current standards, and is responsible for level of care.
- Serves as representative for, and/or liaison between, Mental Health services and other health care providers, as well as IDOC Administration, and coordinates patient care with other departments.
- Provides guidance to the staff in patient care problems; delegates responsibility within the scope of the employee’s abilities.
- Prepares and submits monthly reports as requested
- Notifies the WHS Staffing Department of vacant or upcoming vacant positions in a timely manner and actively assists the Staffing Department in the filling of vacant positions.
- Is familiar with overtime budgets and works to remain within budget.
- Keeps Regional MH Administrator informed of staffing variances related to the Schedule Es and Adjusted Services Requests (ASR).
- Obtains approval of Wexford Health Administration and IDOC prior to exceeding staffing hours as stipulated in Schedule Es or ASRs.
- Strives to ensure 100% compliance of Schedule E and ASR staffing hours.
- Complies with and enforces Wexford/Facility Policy and Procedures and ensures subordinate compliance.
- Is familiar with all aspects of the Wexford Health Collective Bargaining Agreement and operates consistent with the language as interpreted by Wexford Health Administration.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as directed.
- Conforms to Wexford Health Sources, Inc., and facility regulations as appropriate, to include, but not be limited to:
- Dress code
- Schedule/time sheet/time clock
- Safety and security regulations
- Procedure for sick leave/vacation time/education seminars
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with offenders, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
TRAVEL: Potentially for periodic meetings
LICENSING: Must be licensed as a Clinical Psychologist in Illinois
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Previous corrections experience is a plus as well as previous management or administrative experience.
EDUCATION: Doctoral level degree in Psychology