Wexford of Indiana, one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford has an exceptional opportunity for a Regional Nurse Educator - RN to join our team of healthcare professionals at the Indiana Regional Office in Indianapolis, Indiana.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through BlueCross BlueShield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
The Regional Nurse Educator – RN is responsible for planning, developing and evaluating a comprehensive and complex program of clinical educational services statewide. Work involves formulation of educational policies, procedures and standards and assisting the facilities’ medical and administrative staff in integrating the services into the state correctional facilities. Performs a full range of instructor duties including teaching various program courses, evaluating employee’s clinical learning and advising employees. Inter-relates and works effectively with patients, medical and nursing staff, security staff at all levels, administrative and support staff, and consulting physicians.
- Evaluates the facilities’ and employees’ clinical competence and ability in accordance with the Company’s clinical educational program’s established criteria.
- Assists the Director of Operations and Statewide Director of Nursing with curriculum development and course content specifications; conducts formal lecture and clinical education.
- Provides classroom and hands-on training to staff and facilitates individualized training, including CPR training/certification classes, when required; evaluates employees’ clinical learning and advises employees.
- Maintains current knowledge of the education program standards and participates in the evaluation of its effectiveness.
- Maintains professional relationship and collaborates with managers to evaluate staff competency.
- Maintains employee training records.
- Participates in Regional staff meetings on a routine basis to recommend and implement changes in educational and clinical course schedule as necessary.
- Provides regular progress reports to the Director of Operations and Statewide Director of Nursing.
- Responsible for orientation of employees’ to clinical policies, procedures, sites and requirements.
- Participates in New Employee Orientation program for new staff members, develops programs to keep existing staff up-to-date.
- Develops a monthly education calendar.
- Participates in development of short-term and long-term educational goals based on identified needs through quality management and annual assessments.
- Designs and implements programs, policies, and practices to ensure all departments are in compliance with ACA and NCCHC accreditation standards and contractual requirements.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local regulatory requirements. Tracks laws and regulations that might affect the organization's policies and procedures.
- Conducts site visits to provide supervision, complete records reviews, monitor performance, collect data and assess needs to ensure department effectiveness and efficiency.
- Serves as a general resource person to department managers and nursing personnel.
- Collaborates with medical providers, patient care staff, and unit management in the planning, implementation, and delivery of educational curricula.
- Initiates clinical skills development programs within the parameters of established clinical and preceptorship models; monitors trends and implements educational strategies to ensure compliance with quality standards and parameters.
- Provides direct specialized nursing services to an assigned group of patients, providing specialized patient care within nursing protocols and assisting in the performance of all related nursing duties.
- Educates technical and patient care staff in the use of new equipment, supplies, and instruments; coordinates in-service training and workshops for appropriate staff.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Prepares budgetary recommendations and review of requisitions for supplies and equipment.
- Develops and monitors goals and objectives for the state in conjunction with overall Wexford goals and objectives; assists in the development and implementation of statewide Wexford policies and procedures.
- Provides staff training and development programs as well as technical advice; interpret complex NCCHC policy; provide procedural steps to facility staff to enhance their skills in resolving problems related to these areas.
- Participate in local, state, and national representative meetings related to the trends and developments in Wexford and correctional health care.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting within a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmate patients, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
TRAVEL: Travel throughout the state is required.
LICENSING: Current unrestricted Indiana RN license required.
- Current CPR Certification.
- Certification as an instructor in ACLS, BTLS, CPR, AMLS.
- Minimum of BA, MA preferred.
- Nursing Degree from an accredited college or university.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years of professional nursing experience including at least three (3) years of professional supervisory or administrative experience, preferred.
OTHER PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of clinical protocol, procedures, and standards within area of nursing expertise.
- Ability to provide operational guidance and leadership to technical staff in area of specialty.
- Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements.
- Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to assess educational needs and design and develop responsible curricula.
- Working knowledge of the use of established clinical and preceptorship models in the development of clinical education programs.
- Ability to plan, implement, and evaluate individual patient care programs.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively at all levels in a collaborative team environment.
- General math and analytical skills, and planning, administrative and organizational skills essential.
- Demonstrated experience meeting multiple deadlines. Must ensure documents are ready for review well in advance of any deadline.
- Ability to competently manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment.
- Must be able assist staff with various policies, administrative and organizational projects. "Team-player" as this position requires daily coordination with other coworkers.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, etc.) applications.