Improve your quality of life & their quality of care.
Practice medicine the way you’ve always wanted – without the hassle of wrestling with insurance companies or spending countless hours at the office or hospital – as a physician with Wexford Health. We’re one of the nation’s leading innovative correctional health care companies, and we give you the opportunity to work in a setting that is unique, challenging and always secure.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Full-time Physician to join our team of healthcare professionals at the Baltimore Central Intake & Booking Facility in Baltimore, MD.
The site Physician practices medicine at specified Wexford Health medical practice site(s) promoting and providing high-quality medical care. He/she practices in a manner consistent with his/her clinical privileges as identified and approved during the credentialing process; work collegially and cooperatively with the site medical director, other physicians, physician extenders (e.g., physician assistants, nurse practitioners, etc.), dentists, psychiatrists, psychologists, and any other medical professionals working within the medical facilities at the assigned site; and actively participate in discussions regarding the resolution of problems related to quality of care, patient safety issues and patient complaints/grievances arising at the site. He/she is responsible for maintaining utilization management and clinical practice standards through the application of the organization’s clinical criteria; participate in the development of medical/clinical policies and case consultation to clinical staff, as requested; maintain the highest level of medical quality and service at the site and represent the organization’s clinical philosophy to patients, providers, facility personnel, and the community.
- Work closely with and maintains good relationships with the site Medical Director, the Regional Manager, the site Health Services Administrator and the state and county medical authority.
- Effectively communicate with the site Medical Director and site clinical and administrative staff.
- Keeps the site Medical Director informed of issues in a timely manner, including the submission of requested reports.
- Actively participate in Wexford Health site meetings/committees when requested.
- Actively promote medical quality and patient/inmate safety.
- Participate in the interviewing of qualified medical and clinical staff as requested.
- Help in the development of subordinate staff including: maintaining consistent communication with staff and meeting clinical education needs of the staff.
- Implement and administer Wexford Health, state and county policies and procedures consistently. Ensures site compliance with all policies/procedures and recommends updates as necessary to meet local, legal, and accreditation requirements.
- Maintain the confidentiality of inmate records.
- Make suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical Director, Regional Administrator and Healthcare Unit Administrator.
- Accepts other duties as assigned by the site Medical Director and Regional Medical Director.
- Actively participate in the evaluation and monitoring of chronic illness programs.
- Ensure that the operation of the on-site infirmary at the site is in compliance with national standards (ACA and NCCHC) and that the scope of care provided is appropriate for the staffing and resources available.
- Ensure that established sick call processes ensure patient access to medically necessary services.
- Ensure that established suicide prevention programs are implemented to identify, refer and treat patients who are at risk for suicide.
- Participate in the development of proposed priorities for services and programs.
- Participate in discussions regarding the need for new chronic care programs, new medical equipment and selection of general medical supplies.
- Assist in the review of corporate, regional, state and site-specific medical practices. Ensure consistency with Wexford Health Sources’ overriding objective to promote high-quality medical care.
- Participate in a call rotation, as needed, for the site to ensure 24/7/365 physician coverage and consultation for the clinical and security staff.
- Return pages and calls promptly and in a time efficient manner respecting the emergent and urgent needs of the facility.
- Actively participate in Wexford Health/Facility Quality Management Committees as requested.
- Participate in reviews of applicable federal, state and local laws, and standards of conduct, as well as other policies and procedures from national accreditation authorities (e.g., ACA, NCCHC, etc.) in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior.
- Actively participate in peer review activities as requested and in compliance with Wexford Health policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in mortality and sentinel event reviews for the site and/or region and when requested by the Regional or site Medical Director.
- Ensure that the site(s) maintains an effective infection control program that includes the prevention, identification, reporting, and control of communicable diseases in accordance with Wexford Health infection control policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in site, region, and corporate-wide efforts to ensure compliance with national ACA and NCCHC standards necessary for accreditation efforts.
- Participate in and actively supports all efforts at the site(s) towards the implementation and maintenance of electronic medical records, telemedicine or administrative technology enhancements.
- Actively participates in all Utilization Management (UM) efforts at the site.
- Work closely with the corporate UM Medical Director when requested.
- Participate in collegial reviews for all off-site referrals regarding all patients from the site when requested by the site Medical Director.
- Facilitate communication with all outside providers of care for their patients (e.g. inpatient attending, specialists seeing referred patients, etc.)
- Actively participate in pharmacy collegial reviews, ER retrospective reviews and laboratory and radiology utilization review for the site as requested.
- Participate in the review and evaluation of all off-site utilization for the site in order to ensure its cost effectiveness and clinical quality.
- Help to identify and implement cost reduction strategies.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate collegial/professional relationships within the referral region with specialists, hospitals, ancillary providers, transport providers, community and tertiary hospitals and all other support groups that may be called upon to provide health care services for the site’s patient population.
- Responsible for helping to identify (in conjunction with the site Medical Director) appropriate qualified specialists, hospitals, ancillary providers, transport providers, and other support groups necessary to provide high-quality, cost-effective care to the site’s patient population.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
LICENSING: Medical license in the state of Maryland or ability to obtain
- Board Certified/Eligible in Internal Medicine or Family Practice
- Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Medical Degree required.
OTHER PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- General math and analytical skills, and planning, administrative and organizational skills essential.
- Demonstrated experience meeting multiple deadlines. Must ensure documents are ready for review well in advance of any deadline.
- Ability to competently manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment.
- Must be able assist staff with various policies, administrative and organizational projects.
- Must be a "team-player" as this position requires daily coordination with other coworkers.