Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Regional Administrator to join our team of healthcare professionals in Cumberland, Maryland.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
The Regional Administrator (RA) consults with the Director of Operations regarding routine health services issues of an administrative nature; and consults with the Medical Director and Regional Director of Nursing regarding unusual clinical issues of a complex nature, which involves patient management. He/she is responsible for effectively and efficiently managing the Region’s overall health care delivery system by acting as a liaison between Health Services and the institutional administration, department heads, and subordinates. The Regional Administrator executes policies and procedures governing staff compliance with health, safety, and security standards within the facilities in his/her region.
- Oversee the region-wide health care delivery system and day-to-day leadership of Health Services Administrators (HSA) in the operation of facility health care units.
- Provide HSAs with management guidance, strategies for regional growth, and operational assistance.
- Conduct periodic staff meetings, and attend facility meetings and training as required.
- Oversee HSAs’ resolution of health care unit personnel issues or complaints, and directly intervene in problem areas as needed to ensure prompt resolution, involving facility administration, contractors, if applicable, and Human Resources as appropriate.
- Ensure region-wide compliance with all human resources policies, procedures and programs including workforce planning, recruiting, training and development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, and on-boarding. Provide direction and clarity to HSAs and their teams to facilitate effective team dynamics.
Team Management and Development:
- Work with HSA staff to develop objective performance measurements across all sites to ensure consistent, high-quality evaluation and goal setting for all employees.
- Assist in the recruitment of qualified health services staff. Participate in interviewing and hiring, and approving final selection of new employees.
- Perform performance management functions and supervise the performance of HSA and department heads conducting annual evaluations and recommend employee discipline/development when necessary.
- Oversee the orientation to the facility/institution; ensure the availability of in-service education for health service staff, to comply with the facility.
- Instill a sense of accountability among the HSA team members through fair and consistent oversight of individual and organization performance standards.
- Attend facility HSA/Medical Director meetings or other activities as scheduled.
- Oversee interactions with medical specialists.
- Participate, guide, instruct, and approve Staff Corrective Actions in regards to employee discipline.
Health Services Operational Management:
- Interact with Maryland Department of Corrections and facility authorities to facilitate timely and efficient delivery of services.
- Monitor all health service contract compliance activity within his/her region.
- Partner with the Director of Operations to prepare and monitor the health services budget for his/her respective region.
- Monitor labor and overtime daily- ensuring sites are working within budget.
- Develop and implement procedures to comply with administrative and institutional directives of the facility and the Maryland DOC.
- Make sound decisions regarding management and administration of health care services throughout region.
- Coordinate the review and approval of designated facilities’ health-related billings.
- Approve monthly statistical reports and ensure timely submission.
- Facilitate routine meetings and perform functions required by administrative directives, including Quality Assurance, Chronic Clinics, Pharmacy and Therapeutics, and Health Care. Submit meeting minutes as appropriate.
- Evaluate and respond to Corporate Risk Management Department inquiries regarding complaints or grievances by patients, family members, lawyers or other advocates.
- Develop, implement, and monitor corrective action plans designed to resolve audit findings.
- Review initial hospital specialty referrals with the Medical Director to ensure appropriateness.
- Review and approve all Personnel Action Forms within area of responsibility.
- Oversee and ensure all Reports from area of responsibility are submitted timely and with accuracy.
- Review Staff schedules to ensure adherence to Position Control Report and contractual obligations.
- Participate in Budget Preparation process as needed in regards to Labor and requested Capital Equipment.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the confidential maintenance of and safekeeping of all medical records and information, to ensure compliance with HIPAA regulations.
- Work jointly with regional training staff and corporate Training and Program Development Specialist to ensure that appropriate training in CPR and New Employee Orientation is available to comply with contract requirements region-wide.
- Supervise requisition of supplies and equipment to ensure proper usage and availability. Oversee the routine maintenance of perpetual inventories of supplies and pharmaceuticals.
- Develop the necessary systems, processes and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge that is generated by the corporate and regional offices.
- Empower employees to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control, and performance.
- Comply with the correctional facilities’ safety and security policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational change and growth.
- Oversee area of responsibility to ensure timely responses and submissions of UM related information:
- ?Daily Activities Report
- Retro No Authorization Responses
- Alternate Treatment Plan Reports
- Service Completion Reports
- Responsible for weekly review of Labor Reports for area of responsibility
- Mandatory presence at all C.M.A. and State Audits taking place within area of responsibility.
- Monthly review of Financial Reports for area of responsibility. Explanations of variances, trends, unusual expenses will be required.
- Participate in the creation, implementation, and monitoring of all Corrective Action Plans within area of responsibility.
- Review and provide approval or modification to all Office, Dental, and Medical Supply orders being submitted from area of responsibility.
- Oversight of Mandatory Training for all staff within area of responsibility.
- Participate in Recruitment, Selection, and Hiring of new staff as required within area of responsibility.
- Ongoing, routine communication with Site Level Executive Staff (Warden, etc.) to ensure Client Satisfaction at the site level.
- Review and take appropriate actions in response to KRONOS generated reports within area of responsibility.
- Participate and oversee preparatory audits taking place at sites within area of responsibility or contract wide as necessary.
- Position requires constant on call with no exceptions. Any break from taking call will be preapproved and covered by another peer.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting within a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with offenders/patients, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
TRAVEL: Substantial travel throughout region is required.
LICENSING: RN license strongly preferred but not required
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required (healthcare-related field preferred)
- 5 years of experience managing multiple locations (correctional healthcare or healthcare preferred)
- 5 years overall experience in healthcare operations (preferably corrections)
OTHER PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function as a “team player” coordinating efforts with managers, peers and subordinates
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to contract and the organization’s mission
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- General math and analytical skills, and planning, administrative and organizational skills essential
- Detail oriented