Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a full-time Registered Nurse to join our team of healthcare professionals at the Eastern Correctional Institution in Westover, MD.
This is a full-time, day shift position.
The Registered Nurse, providing care within the Maryland Department of Corrections, is responsible for delivery of patient care through the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. Also directs and guides patient teaching activities and ancillary personnel, while maintaining standards of professional nursing. Interrelates and works effectively with patients, medical and other nursing staff, security staff at all levels, and administrative and support staff.
- Assess plans and deliver nursing care to inmates; and implement clinical and technical aspects of care in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Check and change dressings as required or as ordered.
- Administer medications including IV therapy and IM injections and all other approved routes of administration per the order of the physicians/mid-level providers.
- Plan individual treatment programs as required and implement treatment plans as ordered by the physician.
- Intervenes with proper techniques, procedures and safety precautions utilizing aseptic technique and infection control to meet individual needs of patients.
- Implement medical plan through administering medications in accordance with physician’s orders.
- Intervene by obtaining body fluid specimens and performing EKG’s using proper techniques and procedures.
- Utilizes available treatment protocols as written by the Medical Director.
- Assist in minor medical or surgical procedures.
- Enter housing units to pass medications or other medical items and to conduct medical screening when necessary.
- Assist in screening of emergencies for necessity and priority for referral to physician or mid-level providers and conduct daily sick call screening.
- Coordinate multiple medical services for diagnostic and treatment as directed by the Medical Director, Physician, Physician Assistant, or Nurse Practitioner.
- Provide a written assessment of patient on admission, during confinement and on discharge as requested.
- Summarize assessment data and make a triage decision which is documented and communicated to other patient care providers.
- Apply knowledge of illnesses, injuries and diseases using available resources in obtaining a health history and in the assessment process.
- Communicate information to other nursing staff, Health Care Unit physicians, physician assistants, Health Care Unit supervisory personnel and department correctional officers and departments.
- Consult with other nurses, physician assistants, physicians, and correctional officers, as necessary.
- Communicate information to ancillary departments using established referral process.
- Provide leadership to LPNs, CNAs and other nursing paraprofessional staff in patient care. As requested, assist in the presentation of in-service education.
- Maintain the Problem Oriented Medical Record; and document nursing encounters utilizing the Problem Oriented Medical Record format of charting as required by the facility.
- Promote quality assurance standards by participating in the quality of chart audits.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with patients, visitors, and medical and correctional personnel. Promote good working relationships among staff and between other disciplines and departments
- Notify supervisor and complete written reports for any medical or security incidents.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
LICENSING: Registered Nursing License in the state of Maryland
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR Certification
EDUCATION: Graduate of an accredited nursing school; BSN Preferred
- One (1) year clinical experience, preferred
- Correctional Experience, a plus
OTHER PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Flexible, dependable, and reliable.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and performance of nursing policies and procedures.
- Ability to competently manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Be capable of giving CPR instructions and ability to take charge in a CPR emergency.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment.
- Support philosophy, objectives and goals of nursing department.
- Assume individual accountability for own conduct and maintenance of professional appearance.
- Approach change in a positive manner.
- Maintain the confidentiality of inmate records.
- Must be able assist staff with various policies, administrative and organizational projects. "team-player" as this position requires daily coordination with other coworkers.