Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Registered Nurse Supervisor/Director of Nursing to join our team of healthcare professionals at Martin Correctional Insititution in Indiantown, FL
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
The Director of Nursing (DON) is responsible and accountable for structuring comprehensive planning and implementing the Nursing Services Program that guides the delivery of a quality health care program. The Director of Nursing must work effectively with patients, patient families, medical and nursing staff, security staff at all levels, and the administrative and support staff.
- Participate and/or direct planning, priority setting and the development of policies and procedures for health care activities that are in compliance with contractual requirements, Department of Corrections and national standards.
- Coordinate and monitor orientation, in-services and continuing education within Nursing Services. Responsible for coordinating and providing clinical orientation and nursing in-service training.
- Coordinate the development, provision and evaluation of patient care according to the standards of quality care.
- Conduct recruitment/retention efforts for Nursing Services.
- Participate in the development and administration of a budget for Nursing Services.
- Participates in and chair the Utilization Review Committee, Quality Assurance Committee and Infection Control Committee; develop and implement procedures, audits and nursing in-services.
- Receive and review daily outpatient and infirmary reports
- Conduct regular meetings with nursing staff and ensure the practice of nursing is consistent with current standards.
- Act as administrator on call for nursing emergencies or nursing staff needs.
- Develop and maintain staff schedule for Nursing Service in accordance with contract terms of nursing coverage. Responsible for making changes in time schedules, and granting special requests for time off, if applicable.
- Serve as representative for, and/or liaison between, nursing services and other health care providers, as well as Health Services Administrator, and coordinate patient care with other departments.
- Provide guidance to the nursing staff in patient care problems and following established protocols, and delegate responsibility within the scope of the employee’s abilities
- Support and participate in evaluation designed to improve work conditions and patient care. Evaluate employees’ performance to ensure and maintain quality care.
- Keep abreast of and follow through on incidents occurring on all shifts.
- Review all discrepancies in sharps and tool counts, investigate, reconcile and forward written findings to the Health Services Administrator.
- Review all medication errors and forward written findings to the Health Services Administrator.
- Prepare and submit monthly reports to the Health Services Administrator.
- Assist in responding to applicable grievances.
- Assess established policies and review policies as needed.
- Submit monthly report of audits.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel throughout region is required.
LICENSING: Current Florida Registered Nursing License
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR Certification
EDUCATION: Graduate of an accredited nursing school; BSN, preferred
- Minimum two to three (2-3) years of experience in a supervisory nursing role, preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of administrative and/or correctional nursing experience preferred.
- Management experience, a plus.
OTHER PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- General math and analytical skills, and planning, administrative and organizational skills essential.
- Demonstrated experience meeting multiple deadlines. Must ensure documents are ready for review well in advance of any deadline.
- Ability to competently manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment.
- Must be able assist staff with various policies, administrative and organizational projects. "Team-player" as this position requires daily coordination with other coworkers.