Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Statewide Director of Nursing to join our team of healthcare professionals at the Regional Office in Columbia, MD.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
The Statewide Director of Nursing is responsible for planning, directing, coordinating, and evaluating a comprehensive and complex program of nursing services statewide. Work involves formulation of nursing policies, procedures and standards, and assisting the facilities medical and administrative staff in integrating nursing services into the overall treatment philosophies and practices of the state correctional facilities. Supervision is exercised, directly and through subordinate nursing supervisors, over all nursing staff in the state correctional facilities. Inter-relates and work effectively with patients, medical and nursing staff, security staff at all levels, administrative and support staff, and consulting physicians.
- Serve as the director of a complex and comprehensive statewide nursing program; oversee the daily statewide operations.
- Plan, coordinate, direct and evaluate the work of nursing staff consisting of professional and paraprofessional nursing staff.
- Coordinate the work of nursing service personnel with other facility programs; confers with staff physicians and other treatment personnel to evaluate care and treatment programs.
- Develop, implement and evaluate nursing policies, procedures and standards of care; evaluate existing policies, procedures and practice and direct changes in nursing practices to meet acceptable standards of nursing care as defined by accreditation and certification agencies.
- Direct the development, implementation and evaluation of a nursing education, orientation and in-service program for all levels of nursing staff; coordinate a student training program with the affiliated school or university.
- May prepare budgetary recommendations and review of requisitions for supplies and equipment requested by nursing staff.
- Participate as a member of the facility policy and decision-making committee; confers with other facility department directors to resolve facility administrative problems.
- Provide leadership and direction to Regional Administrators, Directors, and HSA at assigned correctional health care facilities.
- Develop and monitor goals and objectives for the state in conjunction with overall Wexford goals and objectives; assist in the development and implementation of statewide Wexford Health Sources policies and procedures.
- Conduct site visits to provide supervision, complete record reviews, and collect data and information to determine program effectiveness and compliance.
- Provide staff training and development programs as well as technical advice; interpret complex NCCHC policy; provide procedural steps to assigned facility staff to enhance their skills in resolving problems related to these areas.
- Participate in local, state, and national representative meetings related to the trends and developments in Wexford Health and Correctional health care.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Help recruit state staff; assign, monitor, and evaluate the work of staff; provide for identified staff training needs.
- Instill a sense of accountability among team members by modeling right oversight of individual and organization performance standards
- Develop and implement strategies what will maximize the synergies among the nursing staff, operations staff, and from site to site.
- Comply with Correctional Facility’s Policies and Procedures
- Assist, monitor, and audit budgets.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting within a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with offenders/patients, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
TRAVEL: Travel throughout the state is required.
LICENSING: Current unrestricted Maryland RN license required
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification.
- Minimum of BA, MA Preferred
- Nursing Degree from an accredited college or university
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years of professional nursing experience including at least three (3) years of professional supervisory or administrative experience, preferred
OTHER PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- General math and analytical skills, and planning, administrative and organizational skills essential.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining multiple deadlines. Must ensure documents are ready for review well in advance of any deadline.
- Ability to competently manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment
- Must be able assist staff with various policies, administrative and organizational projects. "team-player" as this position requires daily coordination with other coworkers.