At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Pre-Doctoral Psychology Intern to join our team of healthcare professionals at Joliet Correctional Center in Joliet, IL.
Under the direct supervision of the Site Mental Health Services Director or Regional Mental Health Training Director, the incumbent is responsible for delivering a wide range of mental health services to incarcerated patients. Such services include, but are not limited to, psychological assessment, individual group psychology, and treatment planning.
- Conducts psychological screening, assessment and/or evaluations of patients referred for examination and/or treatment following IDOC format and guidelines.
- Prepares and updates treatment plans on patients requiring mental health treatment.
- Participates in interdisciplinary treatment team meetings within Residential Treatment Units.
- Serves as a member of the Center Crisis Intervention Team. This may include:
- Providing assessments and brief therapy to patients identified as experiencing a psychological/emotional crisis.
- Maintaining required crisis intervention documentation and monitoring all delivery of service to patients on crisis status.
- Participates in 1 hour individual clinical supervision, and 1 hour of group supervision per week facilitated by a licensed clinical psychologist.
- Completes comprehensive psychosocial histories on selected patients.
- Provides individual and group therapy for patients identified through evaluation or referred by other MH personnel.
Administers, scores, and interprets objective and projective psychological testing in appropriate cases.
Conducts discharge planning for seriously mentally ill patients returning to the community.
Conducts weekly rounds in Restrictive Housing Units.
Responds to patients requests for mental health services as well as referrals from staff who believe that an patients requires mental health assistance.
Facilitates community meetings and psychoeducational groups within the Modified Therapeutic Community program.
Provides documentation in accordance with IDOC policies and procedures.
Conducts Suicide Risk Assessments in accordance with IDOC Administrative Directives.
Participates in pre-service and in-service training programs.
Works closely with consulting psychiatrists to ensure patients requiring evaluation for medication or re-evaluation of current medications are seen by the psychiatric provider in a timely manner, and informs said provider regarding any information pertinent to the patient’s clinical condition.
Participates in weekly clinical supervision meetings with a Clinical Psychologist assigned by the site Mental Health Services Director.
Participates in the monthly administrative supervision meetings with the Regional Mental Health Training Director.
Provides mental health services in compliance with all Administrative Directives.
Adheres to universal precautions and other appropriate infection control practices.
Maintains open lines of communication via attendance at staff meetings and/or use of other appropriate communication methods.
Adheres to safety and security policies and participates in disaster drills.
Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above and within the scope of his/her clinical training and/or licensure/certification.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting within a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with offenders/patients, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
TRAVEL: Quarterly Mental Health meetings in Springfield, IL. Periodic visits to selected correctional facilities.
LICENSING: None required
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification.
EDUCATION: Completing coursework in the Doctoral Phd or PsyD program.
- Inpatient or outpatient mental health treatment and assessment.
Share This Job