Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation’s leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for an as needed Phlebotomist to join our team of healthcare professionals at Dixon Correctional Center in Dixon, IL.
Under the direct supervision of a designated Wexford Health manager or IDOC Personnel as appropriate, including but not limited to the Warden, Assistant Warden, HCUA, Laboratory Technician provides phlebotomy services on inmates within the facility as ordered by a physician. Interacts with a variety of health care professional and security staff in a correctional environment.
- Greets inmates appropriately as he/she enters the drawing area to ensure that he/she feels comfortable.
- Perform blood draws as ordered by the Physician
- Collect as necessary, prepare and protect specimens and deals with complications that may arise.
- Make necessary arrangements, securing and sending specimens to outside laboratory services, as required.
- Maintain proper records of test, complete required reports
- Uses good organizational skills to work effectively in a fast paced environment.
- Handles a multitude of personalities.
- Checks paperwork for completeness and accuracy of information.
- Keeps lab logs, reference materials and other important data up to date.
- Properly prepares and packages all specimens for courier transport in a timely manner and ensures all lab work is complete and error free.
- Answers telephone calls in a clear and concise manner to present a professional image.
- Completes and submits monthly statistical data.
- Follows institutional rules and regulations, as well as Wexford Health’s rules and regulations.
- Follows all safety precautions and requirements as outlined by Wexford Health and the institution to ensure the best possible work conditions for all.
- Travels to other areas of the facility to perform phlebotomy.
- Wears appropriate attire to present a professional appearance as necessary.
- Maintain clean and orderly working environment and follow all related infection control policies
- Attends staff meetings and training sessions when scheduled to ensure being up-to-date on company policies and procedures.
- Orders all laboratory supplies and keep an inventory on a monthly basis.
- Maintains the confidentiality of inmate records.
- Approaches change in a positive manner. Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical Director and Health Care Unit Administrator.
- Accepts constructive criticism in stressful situations.
- Upon receiving the necessary training and/or instruction, perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Conforms to Wexford Health Sources, Inc., and facility regulations as appropriate, to include, but not be limited to:
- Dress code
- Schedule/time sheet/time clock
- Safety and security regulations
- Procedure for sick leave/vacation time/education seminars
Does not perform the following:
- Assist with inmate searches or to observe urine or fecal specimen collections.
- Reveal test results or provide the inmate with privileged information.
- Allow an inmate to perform a venipuncture.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience maybe accepted.
TRAVEL: Minimum travel required.
EXPERIENCE: Specialized phlebotomy training
EDUCATION: High school diploma or one to three months related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Share This Job