Needing a part-time Medical Director…8 hours per week.
Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation’s leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Site Medical Director for 8 hours per week to join our team of healthcare professionals at Central Regional Jail in Sutton, West Virginia.
The Site Medical Director is responsible for providing the overall supervision of the delivery of medical services at the correctional facility. The Medical Director attends to patients, provides medical consultations for the medical staff and institutional officials, and functions as the liaison for clinical matters with medical providers outside the institution. The Medical Director ensures that all activities of the health care unit are conducted in accordance with standards of medical care delineated by state regulations, NCCHC, AMA and ACA standards.
- Evaluate all existing medical programs and assess the health care needs of the inmate population, making recommendations regarding medical programs or services as appropriate.
- Assist in designing and implementing policies, procedures and protocol for health care unit and medical staff.
- Report any problems and/or unusual incidents to the Health Services Administrator or designee.
- Attend staff meetings and participate on various committees as requested by the Health Services Administrator or designee.
- Conduct inmate sick call on days and at times authorized by the correctional facility.
- Examine, diagnose and treat inmates referred to the Medical Director.
- Review and/or monitor the staff physician review of all laboratory, x-ray and ancillary reports, and ensure that the review is documented on inmates’ charts.
- Provide 24-hour on call emergency care to the correctional facility.
- Perform employment, worker’s compensation or other physician examinations for the correctional facility when so designated by specific contract agreement.
- Provide minor surgical treatment at the institution as deemed medically appropriate to include suturing for minor lacerations.
- Formulate written individual treatment plans for inmates with medical problems, which include directions to health care and other personnel regarding their roles in the care and supervision of these patients.
- Conduct infirmary rounds, or ensure that another physician conducts rounds.
- Conduct intake and annual examinations on inmates as provided for by appropriate procedures or as dictated by sound medical practice.
Staff Recruitment and Evaluation:
- Participate in recruitment of health care staff as requested by the Health Services Administrator or designee.
- Supervise and evaluate the clinical activities of all health care staff, including:
- Supervising infirmary rounds made on patients by other physicians.
- Reviewing and approving all referrals to outside hospitals or specialists.
- Evaluating services and treatment provided by other staff physicians, physician’s assistants and other health care staff.
- Properly completing employee evaluations for those employees under the Medical Director’s direct supervision in accordance with applicable Wexford Health policy.
- Assisting in planning schedules of health care staff to provide optimal coverage, when requested.
- Implement and direct the quality assurance program including, but not limited to, conducting audit and medical chart review procedures as identified in the Wexford Health QA manuals.
Training and Orientation:
- Participate in and ensure that all new health care personnel are provided with orientation on site regarding medical practices.
- In conjunction with the Health Services Administrator, direct the development of the correctional facility’s continuing medical education curriculum and oversee a program providing in-service education and communicate such to the Pittsburgh Human Resources Department.
- Participate in ensuring that staff members receive training as necessary to ensure proper performance of their medical duties.
Referrals to Outside Hospitals or Specialists:
- Provide verification to the Corporate Medical Director of admitting privileges at the hospital.
- Make referrals and arrangements with medical specialists as needed for treatment of those inmates with health problems extending beyond the scope and capability of on-site services provided (subject to the security coverage of the facility.)
- Review the health care status of inmates admitted to outside hospitals to ensure that the duration of the hospitalization is medically appropriate.
- Ensure that discharge summaries are furnished to the correctional institution by the hospital in a timely fashion.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel throughout region and state is required.
LICENSING: Current West Virginia Medical License
- Current DEA certificate
- Current CPR certification
- CCHP Preferred
EDUCATION: Medical Degree required.
- Minimum of three (3) year experience in an institutional healthcare setting.
sutton, west virginia
Sutton, West virginia
west virginia sutton,
West virginia Sutton
sutton west virginia
sutton west virginia
sutton, west virginia
Share This Job