Part-time (16 hours per week) for PA/NP at Eastern Regional Jail
Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation’s leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant to join our team of healthcare professionals at Eastern Regional Jail in Martinsburg, WV.
Provides basic medical services under the supervision of a licensed physician. Utilizes professional medical skills to meet a variety of health care needs, with ambulatory care as primary focus.
- Performs physical examinations, evaluations, diagnosis and treatment for all inmate patients in a variety of settings under the supervision of physician.
- With physician, manages acute and/or chronic conditions.
- Responds to and initiates care for medical emergencies throughout the facility.
- Orders appropriate lab tests and medications according to interpretation of diagnostic testing and response to treatment, within established written protocol, and consistent with institution formulary and state and company regulations.
- Coordinates health treatment with other disciplines as necessary.
- Maintain working knowledge of pharmacology including drug reaction/overdose.
- Responsible for complete and accurate documentation in the inmate patient’s health record for care provided.
- Maintains health services records and logs as appropriate.
- Makes rounds, checks medications, observes and records the progress and the condition of inmates housed in confinement and receiving health care services.
- Performs consultation evaluations as requested.
- Coordinates the referral of inmates to specialists or hospitals as necessary.
- Compiles inpatient admission, discharge and/or transfer summaries as required.
- Counsels inmates on preventative care, medical problems and use of prescribed treatment.
- Adheres to Universal Precautions and other appropriate infection control practices.
- Draws blood specimens or testing and performing other comparable procedures when personnel that customarily perform these procedures are not available.
- Provide/present/participate in education to inmate patient, health care and correctional staff.
- Follows security regulations for keys, sharps and controlled medications.
- Delegates to and supervises other team members as appropriate.
- Maintains confidentiality of inmate records.
- Completes a minimum of twenty-four (24) CEU’s every two years and maintains RN/ARNP or PA licensure (as applicable).
- Recommends improved procedures, equipment and supplies to the supervisor.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
LICENSING: Current West Virginia RN/ARNP licensure and/or PA licensure as appropriate
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Graduate of an accredited college/university program
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Minimum two (2) years’ experience in a correctional health setting.
Share This Job