To Apply for this Job Click Here
POSITION: Mental Health Coordinator
SCHEDULE: Full-Time, 40 hours, 8a-4:30p
FACILITY: Duffield Facility & Haysi Facility
LOCATION: 3 days per week at Duffield Facility, 2 day per week at Haysi Facility
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is a member of the Wexford family: a group of the nation’s leading innovative correctional health care companies. At Wexford Health Sources, Inc., our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
The Mental Health Coordinator is responsible and accountable for the delivery of contracted mental health services in the facilities within the Southwest Virginia Regional Jail Authority. Primary duties include the screening and assessment of psychiatric, medical, social services, employment and residential needs, as well as, risk factors for re-incarceration as soon as possible after the individual’s admission to jail. The Mental Health Coordinator serves as the primary liaison between the correctional facility, Community Services Boards, and community services and resources regarding inmate needs. The employee is expected to exercise good judgment, follow sound ethical practices, maintain confidentiality and function independently.
- Assessment of booking information on each new arrival to determine if there is a documented mental health need.
- Screening of new arrivals with a documented mental health condition to determine severity of need.
- Review of referrals received from healthcare providers, medical and security staff to determine severity of need.
- Care coordination with the Mental Health Professional to effectively triage patient for mental health assessment and psychiatric care for both continuity of care and stabilization of mental health condition.
- Care coordination with community providers and community supervision agencies, including the exchange of treatment records, communication of treatment needs and linkage of individuals with available services and support options upon release.
- Prepares patient list for telepsychiatry clinic and coordinates patient attendance in clinic with security staff. Obtains patient consent during telepsychiatry visits for medications prescribed.
- Reviews with psychiatrist the patient assessment documentation, records collected, pertinent history as documented by the assessor. Reviews with psychiatrist any requests for medication renewals.
- Prepares fee slips for clinic visits and medication orders, collects patient signature and submits to the medical department staff responsible for accounting system entries.
- Obtains patient signatures on any refusals for telepsychiatry clinic visits.
- Works with pharmacy nurse to ensure all patient supply of psychotropic medications are available.
- Completes patient requests for health records in an effort to retrieve prior health records.
- Connect patients with any on-site services available to meet needs.
- Communicate with individuals via kiosk request, triage the requests and schedule tasks within the electronic health record.
- Coordinates discharge planning with facility Forensic Discharge Planners.
- Ensures and maintains the confidentiality of all medical records information and patient care information.
- Validates and ensures that forms for the release of information are current, accurate and complete as defined by HIPAA. Releases information at the direction of the Psychiatrist, Mental Health Professional, Medical Director or Health Services Administrator.
- Refer to supervisor any requests of a questionable nature.
- Ensure the security of all active and inactive medical records.
- Assists in preparing periodic statistical reports and other management information system requirements. Maintain logs for appropriate medical unit onsite staff.
- Understands and comply with all state, facility and company policies, procedures and protocols as related to the medical and mental health departments.
- Meets timelines as related to case management and departmental productivity guidelines.
- Upon receiving the necessary training and/or instruction, performs other related duties as required or assigned
Wexford Health offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Performance check-ins with annual merit increase (if applicable)
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through BlueCross BlueShield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plan
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
- Continuing education options
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Bachelors Degree in human services field
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Minimum of two (2) year correctional setting preferred
To Apply for this Job Click Here
Share This Job