POSITION: Physician Assistant/Nurse Practictioner
SCHEDULE: Full-Time / Part-Time / Per Diem
FACILITY: Facility Name
LOCATION: City, State
A Job Should be MORE than just a paycheck.
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest correctional health care providers. Over the past 30 years, our team of dedicated clinical professionals has helped literally millions of justice-involved patients receive life-changing medical and mental health services.
The majority of our patients come from marginalized or impoverished backgrounds. In many cases, our doctors, nurses, and behavioral health professionals represent the patient’s first experience with quality, compassionate health care.
We heal and rehabilitate thousands of incarcerated patients every day.
When you join Wexford Health, you do more than just further your career.
You also become part of a team-a family-whose mission is to care for patients that cannot care for themselves.
You change lives.
You make a difference.
If you are looking for a position that empowers you to do MORE… then look at Wexford Health.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Under the supervision of the Medical Director, Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner (PA/NP) provides basic medical services. He/she utilizes professional medical skills to meet a variety of health care needs, with ambulatory and primary care as a focus. Interacts with a variety of health care professionals and security staff in a correctional environment.. Utilizes electronic medical record system as applicable throughout the scope of duties and responsibilities.
1. Provides a broad range of medical services to the facility including assessment, identification and treatment of medical (acute and/or chronic) concerns, health education to patients, and illness and injury prevention.
2. Performs paraprofessional medical services of an advanced technical nature to the inmate population as appropriate. Involves Medical Director and/or Physician in clinical decision making of any issues that are outside his/her knowledge base or scope.
3. Prepares written prescription orders for drugs; administers medication and injections; sutures wounds and provides wound care.
4. Coordinates with other health care employees in the delivery of care.
5. Coordinates with other health care personnel in their duties concerning patient care, personal hygiene, sanitation, etc.
6. Assists in ordering special diets and the coordination of diets within the facility following facility guidelines.
7. Ensures proper medical practices are observed.
8. Examines for, recognizes and interprets symptoms of patient conditions.
9. Participates in and assist in remedial measures and technical decisions based on sound medical practice and knowledge.
10. Orders medications for patients following licensure authority in coordination with company and facility guidelines.
11. Coordinates with administration to ensure appropriate supplies necessary for performance of duties are available.
12. Prepares patients for and perform or assist in special treatments, procedures and examinations.
13. Makes rounds and staff the screening areas as requested.
14. Performs historical and physical examinations.
15. Makes oral and written reports when requested to do so.
16. Assists with or perform within training and credentialing, minor surgical procedures.
17. Utilizes EMR for charting in a format as designated to document pertinent patient information in chronological order in the health record.
18. Orders appropriate lab/diagnostic tests and procedures to effectively diagnose and treat the patient’s health condition. Orders appropriate medications according to interpretation of diagnostic testing and response to treatment, within established written protocol, and consistent with institution formulary and state and company regulations
19. Assists as needed in drawing blood specimens for testing and performing other comparable procedures when personnel that customarily perform these procedures are not available.
20. Initiates specialty referrals following the site’s procedures and, monitors the schedule of patients for special tests/consultations.
21. Counsels patients on preventative care, medical problems, and use of prescribed treatment.
22. Performs routine wound care, minor debridement, and dressing changes.
23. Establishes individualized treatment plans and insures the continuity of care for patients requiring on-going health care services.
24. Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical Director and H.S.A.
25. Assists with the orientation of new employees as requested or assigned.
26. Assists with legal proceedings as needed.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required.
LICENSING: Current West Virginia Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant license required
Current West Virginia Controlled Substance license preferred
Current DEA preferred
CERTIFICATION: Advanced Practical Nurse or Physician Assistant’s certification required
Current CPR certification required
EDUCATION: Graduate of college/university Advanced Practical Nurse or Physician Assistant program
EXPERIENCE: 2 years clinical experience preferred. Correctional healthcare experience preferred
Share This Job