POSITION: Medical Assistant
FACILITY: Western Regional Jail
LOCATION: Barboursville, WV
A Job Should be MORE than just a paycheck.
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest correctional health care providers. Over the past 30 years, our team of dedicated clinical professionals has helped literally millions of justice-involved patients receive life-changing medical and mental health services.
The majority of our patients come from marginalized or impoverished backgrounds. In many cases, our doctors, nurses, and behavioral health professionals represent the patient’s first experience with quality, compassionate health care.
We heal and rehabilitate thousands of incarcerated patients every day.
When you join Wexford Health, you do more than just further your career.
You also become part of a team-a family-whose mission is to care for patients that cannot care for themselves.
You change lives.
You make a difference.
If you are looking for a position that empowers you to do MORE… then look at Wexford Health.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Under the clinical supervision of the Director of Nursing, the Medical Assistant is responsible for
performing select non-complex medical interventions on the health care unit and housing units
safely, accurately, and according to standard procedure. Medical Assistants work under the
direct and indirect clinical guidance of a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse. Utilizes
electronic medical record system as applicable throughout the scope of duties and
1. Obtain and monitor vital signs of infirmary/medical unit patients.
2. Implement orders for diagnostic lab tests according to company policies and procedures.
3. Implement medical plan through administering medications and interventions in accordance
with provider instructions and scope of practice.
4. Assist nurses as needed in the medical unit within the scope of practice.
5. Maintain inventory supplies
6. Following policy and utilizing appropriate documents, flow sheets and forms, will document
all health-related encounters for patients.
7. Assist Physician or nurse with minor procedures and treatments.
8. Maintain and clean medical equipment on a daily basis as needed.
9. Identify basic signs and symptoms of deviations from normal health status. Provide this information to the nurse and/or Physician.
10. Work in conjunction with nurses to maintain daily duties required to run the medical unit in
an organized fashion.
11. Collect basic subjective and objective date from observations and interviews. Provide this
information to the nurse and/or physician.
12. Obtain vital signs and perform initial screening on sick call clients consistent with scope of
13. Provide appropriate first aid and CPR. Report findings to the nurse and/or physician.
14. Clean, package and sterilize instruments.
15. Maintain needle, syringe and instrument inventory and record of receipt and issuance.
16. Inventory and restock first aid kits, supply rooms, etc.
17. Check expiration dates on medications and supplies.
18. Maintain the confidentiality of inmate records.
19. Make suggestions for improving work conditions to the Director of Nursing and Health
CERTIFICATION: Current, unrestricted certification as a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or
Registered Medical Assistant (RMA). Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program
2 years pervious clinical experience; correctional experience preferred
Share This Job