POSITION: Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner
SCHEDULE: Full-Time 32-33 Hours Per Week
FACILITY: Erie County Jail
LOCATION: Erie, PA
A Job Should be MORE than just a paycheck.
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest correctional health care providers. Over the past 30 years, our team of dedicated clinical professionals has helped literally millions of justice-involved patients receive life-changing medical and mental health services.
The majority of our patients come from marginalized or impoverished backgrounds. In many cases, our doctors, nurses, and behavioral health professionals represent the patient’s first experience with quality, compassionate health care.
We heal and rehabilitate thousands of incarcerated patients every day.
When you join Wexford Health, you do more than just further your career.
You also become part of a team-a family-whose mission is to care for patients that cannot care for themselves.
You change lives.
You make a difference.
If you are looking for a position that empowers you to do MORE… then look at Wexford Health.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Under direct supervision of the designated Wexford Health manager and the Medical Director and clinical supervision of the Medical Director, an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner or Physician’s Assistant licensed in the state of assignment is responsible and accountable for evaluating and treating inmates upon referral and acts as a consultant to the nursing staff.
The NP/PA shall provide a broad range of services to the center including assessment, identification and treatment of medical concerns, health education to patients, and illness and injury prevention.
- Perform paraprofessional medical services to the inmate population and employees as
- Direct other less qualified health care employees in the delivery of care
- Perform duties of an advanced technical nature
- Assign, supervise, direct and train other health care personnel in their duties concerning patient care, personal hygiene, sanitation, etc.
- Assist in supervising the serving and proportions of special diets
- Ensures proper medical practices are observed
- Examine for, recognize and interpret symptoms of patient conditions
- Participate in and assist in remedial measures and technical decisions based on sound medical practice and knowledge
- Order medications for inmates as required or with approval of physician or dentist
- Ensure appropriate supplies necessary for performance of duties are available
- Prepare patients for and perform or assist in special treatments, procedures and examinations
- Make infirmary rounds, cell house rounds and staff the screening areas as requested
- Perform historical and physical examinations
- Make oral and written reports when requested to do so
- Assist or perform with supervision, minor surgical procedures
- Enforce written policies and procedures of Wexford, the Health Care Unit and the facility
- Utilize the SOAP charting format to document pertinent inmate information in chronological order in the health record and maintains POMR format.
- Orders appropriate diagnostic tests and procedures to effectively diagnose and treat the inmate’s health condition.
- Draws blood specimens for testing and performing other comparable procedures when personnel that customarily perform these procedures are not available.
- Initiates referrals to other members of the health care team, monitors the schedule of patients for special tests.
- Counsels inmates on preventative care, medical problems, and use of prescribed treatment.
- Performs routine wound care, minor debridement, and dressing changes.
- Generally assesses inmate’s medical status and assists the assigned physician with inmate management as required.
- Utilizes appropriate infection control techniques.
- Establishes individualized treatment plans and insures the continuity of care for inmates requiring on-going health care services.
- Completes required amount of C.E.U.’s and maintains RN/ARNP/PA licensure.
- Maintain the confidentiality of inmate records.
- Approach change in a positive manner.
- Make suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical Director and Health Care Unit Administrator.
- Accept constructive criticism in stressful situations.
- Assists with the orientation of new employees as requested or assigned.
- Upon receiving the necessary training and/or instruction, perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Conforms to Wexford Health Sources, Inc., and facility regulations as appropriate, to include, but not be limited to:
- Dress code
- Schedule/time sheet/time clock
- Safety and security regulations
- Procedure for sick leave/vacation time/education seminars
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required.
LICENSING: Current state NP/PA license
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Certification from an accredited college/university as an Advanced Practice Nurse or Physician’s Assistant
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years’ experience as a NP/PA preferred
Share This Job