POSITION: Mental Health NP/PA
SCHEDULE: 8am-4pm, Monday through Friday (Saturday and Sunday off)
FACILITY: Dixon Correctional Center
LOCATION: Dixon, Illinois
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest correctional health care providers. Over the past 30 years, our team of dedicated clinical professionals has helped literally millions of justice-involved patients receive life-changing medical and mental health services.
If you are looking for a position that empowers you to do MORE… then look at Wexford Health.
Wexford Health offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual Increase
- 40 Paid Days Off per year
- BlueCross BlueShield Medical insurance
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) plan with 50% match
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
The Mental Health NP/PA conducts Psychiatric Evaluations and provides Psychiatric treatment to incarcerated offenders in accordance with standard practice guidelines.
- Prescribe psychotropic medication to offenders in accordance with standard practice guidelines.
- Monitor offender’s response to treatment, with special attention to any adverse side effects.
- Conducts psychoeducational groups and/or individual inmate/patient education regarding main effects and side effects of psychotropic medication and other relevant content domains.
- Perform AIMS and metabolic assessments and interpret laboratory results in order to monitor medical and psychiatric conditions.
- When necessary, place offenders on the appropriate level of Crisis Watch status.
- When necessary, order the placement of an offender in restraints in accordance with the relevant Administrative Directive.
- Directs other less qualified health care employees in the delivery of care.
- Assigns, supervises, directs and trains other health care personnel in their duties concerning patient care, personal hygiene, sanitation, etc.
- Ensures proper medical practices are observed.
- Examines for, recognizes and interprets symptoms of patient conditions.
- Participates in and assists in remedial measures and technical decisions based on sound medical practice and knowledge.
- Ensures appropriate supplies necessary for performance of duties are available.
- Makes regular rounds in the infirmary, cell houses, and in segregation units.
- Reviews historical information about the offender; reviews the current information in the chart; interviews the offender; conducts a mental status exam; and diagnoses using the current version of DSM and provides treatment utilizing evidence-based practices.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
LICENSING: Currently licensed as NP or PA in the state of Illinois
- Current CPR certification—Accepted:
- American Red Cross
- American Heart Association
- American Safety and Health Institute
- Psychiatric nurse certification preferred
EDUCATION: Certification from an accredited college/university as an Advanced Practice Nurse or Physician’s Assistant
- Minimum of 4000 hours of experience in the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders
- Recent graduate with psychiatric nurse certification may be considered in lieu of experience treating psychiatric diagnoses
- Prior experience with use of electronic medical record system preferred
Share This Job