POSITION: Medical Clerk
FACILITY: Abingdon Regional Jail
LOCATION: Abingdon, VA
A Job Should be MORE than just a paycheck.
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest correctional health care providers. Over the past 30 years, our team of dedicated clinical professionals has helped literally millions of justice-involved patients receive life-changing medical and mental health services.
The majority of our patients come from marginalized or impoverished backgrounds. In many cases, our doctors, nurses, and behavioral health professionals represent the patient’s first experience with quality, compassionate health care.
We heal and rehabilitate thousands of incarcerated patients every day.
When you join Wexford Health, you do more than just further your career.
You also become part of a team-a family-whose mission is to care for patients that cannot care for themselves.
You change lives.
You make a difference.
If you are looking for a position that empowers you to do MORE… then look at Wexford Health.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
The Medical Clerk is responsible and accountable for the maintenance of health records. In this capacity, the employee organizes and maintains a system of health files and logs concerning patient diagnosis, treatment, admissions, discharges and daily patient census changes. The employee is expected to exercise good judgment, maintain confidentiality and function independently.
- Maintains a system and updates facility health status requirements for inmate physical, laboratory, PPD, etc.
- Files loose documentation generated from inside and outside institutions such as laboratory reports, radiology results, completed consultation reports, progress notes, etc.
- Ensures confidentiality of all medical records information.
- Retrieves medical charts for all healthcare staff or clinics as requested
- Validates and ensures that forms for the release of information are current, accurate and complete as defined by HIPAA.
- Retrieves, delivers, and files health records daily as needed.
- Files daily all currently used medical records to ensure ease of availability.
- Checks to ensure that health files are complete (contains all necessary documents) with all loose notes properly secured, and in the correct sections.
- Ensures that the guidelines for hardcopy clinical entries are met at all times (use of hardcopy when Electronic Health Records is not available).
- Releases information at the direction of the Medical Director or Health Services Administrator.
- Refer to supervisor any requests of a questionable nature.
- Ensure the security of all active and inactive medical records.
- Assists in preparing periodic statistical reports and other management information system requirements. Maintain logs for appropriate medical unit onsite staff.
- Answers telephone, relay messages and transfer calls as appropriate.
- Exercises professional telephone etiquette.
- Ensures that messages are complete (contain return number, correct spelling or names, and nature of the call)
- Performs clerical/technical duties.
- Prepares, types and distributes letters, reports and other correspondence.
- Maintains a roster of appointment book based on scheduled appointments for both on and off-site appointments.
- Orders, receives and maintains office supplies to include unit par-levels.
- Maintains cabinets and shelves used for supporting the health files.
- Meets timelines as related to death records, released inmates’ health records and case management and departmental productivity guidelines.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED equivalent
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one (1) year medical records experience
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR Certification
LICENSURE: Not applicable
Share This Job