POSITION: Recreational Therapist
SCHEDULE: 12p-8p, Monday-Friday (Sat/Sun off)
FACILITY: Logan Correctional Center
LOCATION: Lincoln, Illinois
$24.62 Starting Rate | $27.36 After 6-Months
A Job Should be MORE than just a paycheck.
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest correctional health care providers. Over the past 30 years, our team of dedicated clinical professionals has helped literally millions of justice-involved patients receive life-changing medical and mental health services.
The majority of our patients come from marginalized or impoverished backgrounds. In many cases, our doctors, nurses, and behavioral health professionals represent the patient’s first experience with quality, compassionate health care.
We heal and rehabilitate thousands of incarcerated patients every day.
When you join Wexford Health, you do more than just further your career.
You also become part of a team-a family-whose mission is to care for patients that cannot care for themselves.
You change lives.
You make a difference.
If you are looking for a position that empowers you to do MORE… then look at Wexford Health.
Wexford Health offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual increase
- 40 Paid Days off Per Year
- Comprehensive health insurance through BlueCross BlueShield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plan with 50% match
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Under the direct supervision of the designated Wexford Health Manager and the Clinical supervision from the Mental Health Supervisor. Provide offenders with treatment services to restore, remediate, or rehabilitate in order to improve functioning and independence as well as reduce or eliminate the effect of illness or disability. Activity therapists will provide recreation resources and opportunities in order to improve offender health and well-being. Treatment services include assessment of the offender, interpretation of assessment results, making therapeutic intervention recommendations, developing and implementing treatment or habilitation program, observing, evaluating, and reporting offenders reaction to treatment/habilitation program and recommendation continuation or change, and developing work plans and procedures with higher level mental health staff or mental health supervisor.
- Plan, develop, and apply therapeutic interventions based on clinical techniques and procedures related to recreational therapy, music therapy, art therapy, dance therapy and drama therapy.
- Identify interest and evaluate needs to develop recreational interventions to treat offenders with mental illness or development disability based on professional knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Participate in treatment/habilitation team meetings with pertinent personal such as mental health professionals, physicians, nurses, counselors, and educators regarding offender treatment and programming.
- Participate in the preparation of or prepare documentation relating to a offenders treatment or habilitation plan and participate in the preparation of regular, annual, quarterly, and special reports of activity therapy services.
- Provide professional direction to other staff and volunteers
- Develop and conduct recreational programs designed for either group or individual participation, collect and analyze data to evaluate progress towards objectives: develop recommendations for the treatment/habilitation team as to the offender continuation or change in specific programs.
- Conduct recreational therapy that meets the needs of the offender served , participate in the development of facility wide therapy programs.
- Participate in in-service education
- Utilizes referral process to appropriate health care providers as necessary
- Communicates information to ancillary departments using established referral process
- Maintains the confidentiality of inmate records.
- Approaches change in a positive manner.
- Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical Director and Health Care Unit Administrator.
- Accepts constructive criticism in stressful situations.
- Upon receiving the necessary training and/or instruction, perform duties as required assigned.
- Conforms to Wexford Health Sources, Inc., and facility regulations as appropriate, to include, but not be limited to:
- Dress code
- Schedule/time sheet/time clock
- Safety and security regulations
- Procedure for sick leave/vacation time/education seminars
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
TRAVEL: None required.
- Certification as a Recreational Therapist (CTRS)
- Current CPR certification—Accepted:
- American Red Cross
- American Heart Association
- American Safety and Health Institute
EXPERIENCE: Correctional Experience Preferred
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Therapeutic Recreation
Share This Job