POSITION: Supervising Nurse
SCHEDULE: Full-time/ 3pm-11pm/ Rotating days off T/TH/EOW
FACILITY: Lawrence Correctional Center
LOCATION: Sumner, IL
A Job Should be MORE than just a paycheck.
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest correctional health care providers. Over the past 30 years, our team of dedicated clinical professionals has helped literally millions of justice-involved patients receive life-changing medical and mental health services.
The majority of our patients come from marginalized or impoverished backgrounds. In many cases, our doctors, nurses, and behavioral health professionals represent the patient’s first experience with quality, compassionate health care.
We heal and rehabilitate thousands of incarcerated patients every day.
When you join Wexford Health, you do more than just further your career.
You also become part of a team-a family-whose mission is to care for patients that cannot care for themselves.
You change lives.
You make a difference.
If you are looking for a position that empowers you to do MORE… then look at Wexford Health.
Wexford Health offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Performance check-ins with annual merit increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through BlueCross BlueShield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Nursing, the RN Supervisor will participate and assist in the structuring and comprehensive planning and implementing of the Nursing Services Program that guides the delivery of a quality health care program.
1. Receives and reviews daily outpatient and infirmary reports.
2. Manages all infirmary and clinic nursing functions. Acts as a consultant and/or resource within site to facilitate offender care.
3. Coordinates offender care requirements with other departments within the facility and the continuity of offender care with outside health care facilities.
4. Provides functional direction and guidance to nursing staff through on-the-job training and ensures appropriate and quality orientation for all newly hired staff.
5. Participates in planning, priority setting and the development of policies and procedures for health care activities that are in compliance with contractual requirements, Department of Corrections and national standards.
6. Coordinates and monitors orientation, in-services and continuing education within the Division of Nursing Services. Plans, develops and conducts in-service training classes for professional and/or paraprofessional patient care personnel.
7. Coordinates the development, provision and evaluation of patient care according to the standards of quality care.
8. Assists with the selection and evaluation of all nursing personnel and assists administrative staff in personnel functions relating to nursing staff.
9. Is familiar with overtime and commodity budgets and works to remain within budget.
10. Notifies Director of Nursing of staffing variances related to the Schedule E.
11. Strives to ensure 100% compliance of Schedule E and Additional Services Request (ASR) staffing hours.
12. Complies with, assesses, and enforces Wexford Health/facility policies and procedures and ensures subordinate compliance.
13. Is familiar with all aspects of the Wexford Health Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and operates consistent with the language as interpreted by Wexford Health administration.
14. Ensures the existence of an Infection Control Program and supervises the activities of the program as well as ongoing monitoring of the program in compliance with Company/Facility policies and procedures and community standards.
15. Prepares and submits monthly reports as requested by the Health Care Unit Administrator or Regional Manager.
16. Conducts regular meetings with staff as required per Company/Facility policies to maintain optimal levels of communication within the Health Care Unit.
17. Acts as administrator on call for nursing emergencies or nursing staff needs.
18. Member of the Quality Assurance Committee. Attends Quality Assurance and Medical Audit Committee meetings as requested.
19. Assists with the development of and maintains appropriate staffing schedule to ensure adequate nursing coverage for all shifts in accordance with contract terms of nursing coverage and the Wexford Health CBA. Responsible for making changes in time schedules, and granting special requests for time off, if appropriate.
20. Ensures the practice of nursing is consistent with current standards, and is responsible for level of care provided to offenders in compliance with IDOC policies and procedures.
21. Serves as representative for, and/or liaison between nursing services, other health care providers, contract services such as lab and physical therapy as well as Health Care Unit Administrator, and coordinates such patient care services with other departments.
22. Provides guidance to the nursing staff in patient care problems; delegates responsibility within the scope of the employee’s abilities.
23. Remains visible and is responsive to all medical disciplines.
24. Supports and participates in evaluation designed to improve work conditions and patient care. Evaluates employee performance consistent with policies and timelines.
25. Participates in community organizations as requested and maintains good relationships with community organizations.
26. Keeps abreast and follows through on incidents occurring on all shifts.
27. Is available for conferences on all shifts.
28. Counsels nursing personnel in following established protocols.
29. Ensures all communicable diseases are reported to the local/state health authorities as appropriate or required.
30. Reviews all discrepancies in sharps and tool counts, investigates, reconciles and applies appropriate corrective action if indicated.
31. Reviews all mediation errors, investigates, reconciles and applies appropriate corrective action if indicated.
32. Oversees discharge planning and coordinates the continuity of offender care with outside health care facilities.
33. Responds to offender medical grievances as requested.
34. Receives direction from IDOC personnel as appropriate, including but not limited to Wardens, Health Care Unit Administrators (HCUA). Assists HCUA in ensuring that the contract terms of nursing coverage are met.
35. Coordinates special projects as requested by HCUA e.g., nurse audits, development of nursing policies and procedures, etc.
36. Maintains the confidentiality of offender records.
37. Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical Director, Director of Nursing or Regional Manager as appropriate.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
LICENSING: Current Illinois R.N. License
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR Certification—Accepted:
- American Red Cross
- American Heart Association
- American Safety and Health Institute
EDUCATION: Graduate of an accredited nursing program.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Minimum two (2) years nursing experience,
Two (2) years administrative and/or correctional nursing experience preferred
Share This Job