POSITION: Radiology Technician
SCHEDULE: Part-Time- 40 hours a month
FACILITY: Sheridan Correctional Center
LOCATION: Sheridan, IL
Work either 4/10 or 5/8 for the month
A Job Should be MORE than just a paycheck.
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest correctional health care providers. Over the past 30 years, our team of dedicated clinical professionals has helped literally millions of justice-involved patients receive life-changing medical and mental health services.
The majority of our patients come from marginalized or impoverished backgrounds. In many cases, our doctors, nurses, and behavioral health professionals represent the patient’s first experience with quality, compassionate health care.
We heal and rehabilitate thousands of incarcerated patients every day.
When you join Wexford Health, you do more than just further your career.
You also become part of a team-a family-whose mission is to care for patients that cannot care for themselves.
You change lives.
You make a difference.
If you are looking for a position that empowers you to do MORE… then look at Wexford Health.
Supervise Radiology Services at the facility. Under the limited supervision of a designated Wexford Health manager or IDOC Personnel as appropriate, performs technical work in conducting and processing radiographics ordered by the physicians with the capabilities of the correctional institution. Utilizes electronic medical record system as applicable throughout the scope of duties and responsibilities.
- Performs routine and non-involved radiographic examinations.
- Schedule residents for x-rays ordered by physician, including outside services when required.
- Schedule new hires and present staff for exams as ordered by physician.
- Assist staff in proper utilization of dental x-ray unit.
- Develops and update department policies and procedures.
- Coordinates all schedules with other activities to promote efficient service.
- Checks and maintains equipment in a clean, proper and safe working order.
- Reports any malfunctions, taking appropriate safety steps (schedule outside maintenance services if requested).
- Participates in periodic in-service education programs and outside education opportunities, including keeping State DNS license current and on file in the Health Care Unit.
- Participates in committees when requested.
- Maintains a proper dress code and comply with administrative rules.
- Ensures proper positioning of patient, adjusting the radiographic equipment for prescribed film appearance; select and adjust immobilization devices and other accessories; select proper size film and place proper film identification markers on the film; take the required number of views for each specific examination; use collimation devices properly to expose only the necessary parts to be examined to reduce radiation exposure and minimize film fog.
- Maintains a working knowledge of radiation and electrical hazards to prevent exposure of patient and staff; use lead shields when appropriate; use calipers and determine proper x-ray voltage, adjust the controls on the control panel to the proper settings (post a techniques chart in the control room, and use as a guideline).
- Prepares and maintain x-ray development chemicals in accordance with prescribed standards.
- Performs darkroom maintenance, which consists of cleaning, film handling and processing areas, noting equipment not functioning properly and reporting needed repairs.
- Maintains an adequate supply of chemicals and film at all times within their dated limitations. Keep film bin locked when not in use to prevent inadvertent exposure of film to light.
- Properly identifies each film with the patient’s name, using the film identification flasher and card.
- Maintains an accurate file of all patients and examinations performed, listing in a daily log.
- Maintains files and identification flash cards to be used in retrieval of old films when a patient is returned to the Health Care Unit.
- Prepares film for review by Staff Physician. Arrange transportation of films for reading by a radiologist, and channel incoming diagnostic reports to the proper files.
- Administers contrast materials to patient when required.
- Assists Medical Director and Staff Physicians in performing duties as required.
- Completes required reports, requisition of supplies, and replacement parts or schedule routine services in a timely manner.
- Assists staff in proper utilization of dental x-ray unit.
- Conforms to Wexford Health Sources, Inc., and facility regulations as appropriate, to include, but not be limited to:
Schedule/time sheet/time clock
Safety and security regulations
Procedure for sick leave/vacation time/education seminars
Maintains the confidentiality of inmate records.
Approaches change in a positive manner.
Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical Director and Health Care Unit Administrator.
Accepts constructive criticism in stressful situations.
Upon receiving the necessary training and/or instruction, perform other duties as required or assigned.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
LICENSING: Certification by the American Registry of Radiologist Technologists. Registered as Radiological Technician within the state of Illinois (IEMA).
- Preferably registered or certified by professional association
- Current CPR Certification—Accepted:
- American Red Cross
- American Heart Association
- American Safety and Health Institute
EDUCATION: Graduate of an accredited school of Radiology Technology.
Share This Job