POSITION: Registered Nurse
SCHEDULE: Per Diem (PRN/As Needed)
FACILITY: Logan Correctional Center
LOCATION: Lincoln, IL
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is a member of the Wexford family: a group of the nation’s leading innovative correctional health care companies. At Wexford Health Sources, Inc., our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Under the direct supervision of the designated Wexford Health manager and clinical supervision from the Director of Nursing and the site Medical Director, responsible for delivery of patient care through the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. Also directs and guides patient teaching activities and ancillary personnel, while maintaining standards of professional nursing.
- Assesses plans and delivers nursing care to inmates.
- Provides leadership to LPNs, CNAs and other nursing paraprofessionals in patient care.
- Coordinates multiple medical services for diagnostic and treatment as directed by the Medical Director, Physician, Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner.
- Enter housing units to pass medications or other medical items and to conduct medical screening when necessary.
- Assist in minor medical or surgical procedures, screening of emergencies for necessity and priority for referral to physician or mid- level providers and conduct daily sick call screening
- Check and change dressings as required or as ordered.
- Maintain working knowledge of pharmacology including drug reaction/overdose.
- Be capable of giving CPR instructions and ability to take charge in a CPR emergency.
- Maintain the Problem Oriented Medical Record (POMR).
- Administer medications including IV therapy and IM injections and all other approved routes of administration per the order of the physicians/mid-level providers.
- Respond to inmate, staff or visitor medical emergencies and provide appropriate first aid or triage.
- Plans an individual treatment program.
- Intervenes by obtaining body fluid specimens and performing EKG’s using proper techniques and procedures.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required.
LICENSING: Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Illinois
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: One (1) year clinical experience
Share This Job