WEXFORD - IDOC CONTRACT
Position: Dental Assistant – Part Time
Schedule: M – 7a-11a, F – 7a-5p, Sat. – 7a – 1p Sun/Mon off
Location: Vienna, IL
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Part Time Dental Assistant to join our team of healthcare professionals at Shawnee Correctional Center in Vienna, IL.
Starting Rate. $18.17 with increase in 6 months!!
- We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Under the direct supervision of the Wexford Health Dentist, performs non-professional work assisting the Dentist during examination and treatment of patients and in the routine handling of instruments, and supplies.
- Maintains supplies, materials and records of treatment.
- Sets up instruments, equipment and supplies as directed by the dentist or dental hygienist.
- Assist the dentist, as directed, in providing dental care to residents.
- Prepares the patient for treatment.
- Ensures proper clean up, packaging and sterilizing of instruments.
- Assists in instruction of patients in proper dental hygiene.
- Accurately records services in the patient’s medical record, as directed by the dentist
- Receives instructions from the dental hygienist (if available) and provides assistance when requested.
- Assists in screenings for dental emergencies and sick call.
- Provides chair-side assistance by keeping operating field clear, passing instruments and suctioning.
- Scrubs and sterilizes instruments.
- Mixes restorative materials.
- Assists in taking intra-oral x-rays in accordance with proper radiological hygiene.
- Develops and mounts x-ray films.
- Performs intra-oral tasks as defined by law.
- Maintains x-ray unit, processor, autoclave and dental unit according to specifications.
- Inventories supplies and equipment to maintain adequate levels.
- Orders supplies and equipment as needed.
- Ensures there is sufficient number of trays set up for the day’s patients, pulpotomy, caries control, amalgam and Perio/scaling.
- Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of dental clinic.
- Recognizes the symptoms of shock and fainting and provides necessary aid as directed or required during emergency procedures.
- Responsible for dental office security to include instrument, drug and needle counts.
- Maintains constant alertness to conditions that might endanger the security of the institution, personnel and residents, and reports same to supervisor.
- Maintains the confidentiality of inmate records.
- Approaches change in a positive manner.
- Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical Director and Health Care Unit Administrator.
- Accepts constructive criticism in stressful situations.
- Upon receiving the necessary training and/or instruction, perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Conforms to Wexford Health Sources, Inc., and facility regulations as appropriate, to include, but not be limited to:
- Dress code
- Schedule/time sheet/time clock
- Safety and security regulations
- Procedure for sick leave/vacation time/education seminars
- Maintains dental charts.
- Records dental findings
- Schedules patients for dental appointments.
- Prepares patient’s schedule for escort officer.
Once each week:
- Cleans developer
- Cleans autoclave
Once each month:
- Scrubs all drains with soap and water.
- Cleans examination lights, dental unit, and x-ray unit film processor.
- Changes wet tank chemicals.
- Submits monthly report to the Health Care Unit Administrator.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Dental clinic setting within the correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience maybe accepted.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required.
LICENSING: None required
CERTIFICATION: Preferably registered or certified by professional association. CPR certification required.
EXPERIENCE: Experience working in a dental setting and/or correctional health care preferred.
EDUCATION: High School Graduate or GED certificate.
Share This Job