WEXFORD - ALABAMA DOC
POSITION: Director of Nursing (DON)
FACILITY: Kilby CF
LOCATION: Montgomery, AL
A Job Should be MORE than just a paycheck.
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest correctional health care providers. Over the past 30 years, our team of dedicated clinical professionals has helped literally millions of justice-involved patients receive life-changing medical and mental health services.
The majority of our patients come from marginalized or impoverished backgrounds. In many cases, our doctors, nurses, and behavioral health professionals represent the patient’s first experience with quality, compassionate health care.
We heal and rehabilitate thousands of incarcerated patients every day.
When you join Wexford Health, you do more than just further your career.
You also become part of a team-a family-whose mission is to care for patients that cannot care for themselves.
You change lives.
You make a difference.
If you are looking for a position that empowers you to do MORE… then look at Wexford Health.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
The Director of Nursing (DON) is responsible and accountable for structuring, comprehensive planning and implementing the Nursing Services Program that guides the delivery of a quality health care program. The Director of Nursing must work effectively with patients, medical and nursing, security staff at all
levels, and the administrative and support staff.
1. Participates and/or directs planning, priority setting and the development of policies and procedures for health care activities that are in compliance with contractual requirements, client, and national standards.
2. Coordinate and monitor orientation, in-services and continuing education within Health Services. Responsible for coordinating and providing clinical orientation and nursing in-service training.
3. Coordinates the development, provision and evaluation of patient care according to the standards of quality care.
4. Conducts recruitment/retention efforts for Health Services.
5. Participates in the development and administration of a budget for Health Services.
6. Participates in and chairs the Utilization Review Committee, Quality Assurance Committee and Infection Control Committee; develops and implements procedures, audits and nursing in-services.
7. Receives and reviews daily outpatient and infirmary reports
8. Conducts regular meetings with nursing staff and ensures the practice of nursing is consistent with current standards.
9. Acts as administrator on call for nursing emergencies or nursing staff needs.
10. Develops and maintains staff schedule for Health Services in accordance with contract terms of nursing coverage. Responsible for making changes in time schedules, and granting special requests for time off, if applicable.
11. Serves as representative for, and/or liaison between, Nursing services and other health care providers, as well as Health Services Administrator, and coordinates patient care with other
12. Provides guidance to the nursing staff in patient care problems and following established protocols, and delegates responsibility within the scope of the employee’s abilities
13. Supports and participates in evaluation designed to improve work conditions and patient care. Evaluates employees’ performance, and maintains accurate care.
14. Keeps abreast and follows through on incidents occurring on all shifts.
15. Reviews all discrepancies in sharps and tool counts, investigates, reconciles and forwards written findings to the H.S.A.
16. Review all mediation errors, and forwards written findings to the H.S.A.
- Prepares and submits monthly reports to the H.S.A.
- Assists in responding to applicable grievances.
- Assesses established policies, and reviews policies as needed
- Submits monthly report of audits.
18. Approaches change in a positive manner.
19. Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to the H.S.A. and Physician Director.
20. Complies with the correctional facility’s policies and procedures
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
LICENSING: Unrestricted Alabama Registered Nursing License
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR Certification
EDUCATION: Graduate of an accredited nursing school; BSN preferred
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Minimum two to three (2-3) years of experience in a supervisory nursing role, preferred; Minimum of two (2) years of administrative and/or correctional nursing experience; Management experience, a plus
Share This Job