WEXFORD - IDOC CONTRACT
Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation’s leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Medical Records Director to join our team of healthcare professionals at Lincoln Correctional Center in Lincoln, IL.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Under the direct supervision of the Medical Director or Designated Wexford Manager, responsible for directing health records staff and for managing the health records department in compliance with all applicable standards, policies and procedures.
- Oversee the daily operations of the health records department.
- Ensure that a health record is maintained on each inmate in a confidential and secure manner.
- Ensure that all Facility and Wexford contractual agreements are met in regards to medical records.
- Pre-audit and prepare medical records for monthly and/or quarterly reviews.
- Address all court/legal-related correspondence as it related to health records in a timely manner in accords with policies and procedures.
- Present self to court as the medical records custodian when necessary.
- Participate in the Quality Improvement program by attending meetings and reporting on data assigned for collection or in a capacity as requested.
- Collect and submit information for monthly statistical reports.
- Ensure appropriate and quality orientation for all newly hired staff.
- Notify the Staffing Department of vacant or upcoming vacant positions in a timely manner.
- Act as a consultant to all health unit departments regarding their record keeping procedures.
- Develop employee improvement programs, orientation programs and health records in-services for staff and staff orienteer.
- Familiarize self with all rules, regulations, statutes, policies and procedures governing the health record.
- Develop and update appropriate policies and procedures.
- Provide input for employee performance evaluations on employees under supervision.
- Develop and implement corrective action plans for health records contract audit issues.
- Communicate with HCUA and Designated Wexford Manager on issues or deficiencies related to the medical records department.
- Arrange for manual tracking of patients who require histories and physicals, and conveys this information to the Health Assessment nurse or other appropriate person (s).
- Assign staff members to routinely review health records for signature/name stamp, dates, and time deficiencies and reports non-compliance of health care providers to the Medical Director, Director of Nursing and/or the Regional Administrator as appropriate.
- Ensure that all forms contained in the health records are approved.
- Direct day-to-day activities of personnel engaged in analyzing, compiling, indexing and filing medical records of patients.
- Assist medical staff in research, prepares periodic and statistical reports; and provides information to qualified personnel as assigned.
- Quarterly review Department of Correction guidelines and monitors for compliance.
- Represent the Medical Records Department at all appropriate Medical Unit and the Center’s meetings.
- Train and supervise clerical and medical record personnel in medical record procedures and medical terminology.
- Maintain and ensure confidentiality of health records.
- Notify Regional Administrator of staffing variances related to the Schedule E.
- Obtain approval of IDOC and Wexford administration prior to exceeding staffing hours as stipulated in the Schedule E.
- Strive to ensure 100% compliance of Schedule E staffing hours for the Medical Records Director position and any and all other Medical Records subordinate positions.
- Comply with and enforce Wexford Policy and Procedures and ensure subordinate compliance.
- Maintain the confidentiality of inmate records.
- Approach change in a positive manner.
- Make suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical Director and Health Care Unit Administrator.
- Accept constructive advice/criticism and learns from it.
- Maintains composure in stressful situations.
- Upon receiving the necessary training and/or instruction, perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Conforms to Wexford Health Sources, Inc., and Facility regulations as appropriate, to include, but not be limited to:
- Dress code
- Schedule/time sheet/time clock
- Safety and security regulations
- Procedure for sick leave/vacation time/education seminars
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Good organizational skills
- Two (2) years experience preferred
- NCCHC and ACA exp preferred
- Management of Ambulatory Care preferred
- Registered Record Administrator preferred
- Accredited Record Technician in Medical Records Science
- Must have passed the American Records Association examination
- RHIT or RHIA required
Share This Job