WEXFORD - ALABAMA DOC
Correctional Mental Health LPN Needed!
Working in corrections is something that most have never thought about in the medical field but it can be very rewarding. Working as a nurse in corrections offers medical diversity and autonomy while working in an exceptionally nice medical unit.
This posting is for a
PRN (Per Diem) Mental Health LPN
Bullock Correctional Facility in Union Springs, AL.
Experience-based Pay Rates plus Shift Differentials
LPN Shift Differentials
Weekday Eve – $1.50
Weekday Night – $2.00
Weekend Day – $1.00
Weekend Eve – $2.50
Weekend Night – $3.00
PRN Differential – $1.00
Wexford Health Sources is contracted by the state of Alabama with the Alabama Department of Corrections to staff and run the medical and mental health units within the correctional facilities. Our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
- Services patients in a correctional setting with psychiatric or developmental disabilities under the direction of a professional Registered Nurse or Medical Director.
- Assists in carrying out rehabilitation programming and activities for residents such as role model interactions, development of social skills, development of daily living skills, reality orientation, recreational skills, etc.
- Provides personal care services as needed to patients including: oral hygiene, bathing, hair care, nail care, shaving, feeding, diapering and dressing.
- Sets up prescribed medications in accordance with patients’ nursing care plans; assesses, develops, records and monitors programs for self-administration of medications and conducts medication management and health education training for individuals and groups.
- Check’s temperature, pulse, blood pressure, and other vital signs to detect deviations from normal; assists in controlling aggressive or disruptive behavior.
- Under the clinical guidance of a Registered Nurse, assists in the assessment of the physical, psychological and social dimensions of patients in the health care unit and as necessary in the housing units. Assist in planning and implementing individual treatment programs in the health care unit and housing unit by utilizing available resources and consulting with registered nurses, physicians and correctional officers.
- Implement medical plan through administering medications and intervention in accordance with physician instructions.
- Document nursing encounters, patient response, effectiveness, complications etc., and communicate information to supervisory personnel and physicians in accordance with physician’s orders.
- Assist in maintaining working and living areas and supplies in good order.
- Serve as a member of a nursing care and treatment team and assist physician as assigned.
- Use available in-house resource personnel and departments for treatment/consultation.
- Implement clinical and technical aspects of care in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Take vital signs (temperature, pulse, respiration and blood pressure).
- Apply and change dressings.
- Provide for emotional and physical comfort and safety of patients.
- Assist with activities of daily living with special attention to therapeutic significance.
- Supervise inmates in the maintenance, cleanliness and sanitation of the environment.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
LICENSING: Licensed as a Practical Nurse by the Alabama Board of Nursing (ASBN)
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Possession of a certificate from a practical nursing education program accepted for licensure from the ASBN
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Experience with the special needs and behavior of individuals in forensic and correctional settings preferred.
Share This Job