WEXFORD - ALABAMA DOC
The Medical Assistant is responsible for performing select non-complex medical interventions on the health care unit and housing units safely, accurately, and according to standard procedure. Medical Assistants work under the direct supervision of a physician. and/or, depending on scope of practice, direct and indirect clinical guidance of a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Obtain and monitor vital signs of infirmary/medical unit patients.
- Transcribes and implements physician orders
- Implement medical plan through interventions in accordance with provider instructions and scope of practice.
- Assist nurses as needed in the medical unit within the scope of practice.
- Prepares treatment room for patients.
- Gathers and documents patient data
- Assists physicians and mid level providers with examinations
- Maintain inventory supplies
- Following policy and utilizing appropriate documents, flow sheets and forms, will document all health-related encounters for patients.
- Assist physician or nurse with minor procedures and treatments.
- Maintain and clean medical equipment on a daily basis as needed.
- Identify basic signs and symptoms of deviations from normal health status. Provide this information to the nurse and/or physician.
- Work in conjunction with nurses to maintain daily duties required to run the medical unit in an organized fashion.
- Collect basic subjective and objective date from observations and interviews. Provide this information to the nurse and/or physician.
- Obtain vital signs and perform initial screening on sick call clients consistent with scope of practice.
- Provide appropriate first aid and CPR. Report findings to the nurse and/or physician.
- Clean, package and sterilize instruments.
- Maintain needle, syringe and instrument inventory and record of receipt and issuance.
- Inventory and restock first aid kits, supply rooms, etc.
- Check expiration dates on medications and supplies.
- Provides patient teaching as instructed
- Performs clerical duties such as answering the phone, filing documents in patient record.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
CERTIFICATION: Certified Medical Assistant (AAMA) or Registered Medical Assistant (AMT)
- Other Medical Assistant certification from vocational, technical school may be considered
OTHER PREFERRED SKILLS/ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- General math and analytical skills, and planning, administrative and organizational skills essential.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining multiple deadlines. Must ensure documents are ready for review well in advance of any deadline.
- Comply with the correctional facility’s policies and procedures
- Ability to competently manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment
- Must be able assist staff with various policies, administrative and organizational projects. “team-player” as this position requires daily coordination with other coworkers
Share This Job