WEXFORD - NEW HAMPSHIRE DOC CONTRACT
POSITION TITLE: Nurse Practitioner (APRN)
SCHEDULE: Full Time, 30 hours per week (3 ten hour days)
*Part Time and PRN also available
LOCATION: Northern New Hampshire Correctional Facility in Berlin, NH
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- 9 Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Utilizes professional medical skills to meet a variety of health care needs, with ambulatory and primary care as a focus.
Interacts with a variety of health care professionals and security staff in a correctional environment.
- Provides a broad range of medical services to the facility including assessment, identification and treatment of medical (acute and/or chronic) concerns, health education to patients, and illness and injury prevention.
- Performs paraprofessional medical services of an advanced technical nature to the inmate population as appropriate. Involves Staff Physician in clinical decision making of any issues that are outside his/her knowledge base or scope.
- Prepares written prescription orders for drugs; administers medication and injections; sutures wounds and provides wound care.
- Coordinates with other health care employees in the delivery of care.
- Coordinates with other health care personnel in their duties concerning patient care, personal hygiene, sanitation, etc.
- Assists in ordering special diets and the coordination of diets within the facility following facility guidelines.
- Ensures proper medical practices are observed.
- Examines for, recognizes and interprets symptoms of patient conditions.
- Participates in and assist in remedial measures and technical decisions based on sound medical practice and knowledge.
- Orders medications for patients following licensure authority in coordination with company and facility guidelines.
- Coordinates with administration to ensure appropriate supplies necessary for performance of duties are available.
- Prepares patients for and perform or assist in special treatments, procedures and examinations.
- Makes rounds and staff the screening areas as requested.
- Performs historical and physical examinations.
- Makes oral and written reports when requested to do so.
- Assists with or perform within training and credentialing, minor surgical procedures.
- Utilizes EMR for charting in a format as designated to document pertinent patient information in chronological order in the health record.
- Orders appropriate lab/diagnostic tests and procedures to effectively diagnose and treat the patient’s health condition. Orders appropriate medications according to interpretation of diagnostic testing and response to treatment, within established written protocol, and consistent with institution formulary and state and company regulations
- Initiates specialty referrals following the site’s procedures and, monitors the schedule of patients for special tests/consultations.
- Counsels patients on preventative care, medical problems, and use of prescribed treatment.
- Performs routine wound care, minor debridement, and dressing changes.
- Establishes individualized treatment plans and ensures the continuity of care for patients requiring on-going health care services.
- Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to the Director of Medical & Forensic Services Medical Director or designee.
- Assists with the orientation of new employees as requested or assigned.
- Assists with legal proceedings as needed.
- Current New Hampshire Advanced Practice Registered Nurse license required
- Current New Hampshire Controlled Substance license required
- Current DEA required
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse certification required
- CPR certification required
- Graduate of college/university master’s level Advanced Practice Registered Nurse program
- 2 years clinical experience preferred. Correctional healthcare experience a plus
OTHER KNOWLEDGE/PRERRED SKILLS:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- General math and analytical skills, and planning, administrative and organizational skills essential.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining multiple deadlines. Must ensure documents are ready for review well in advance of any deadline.
- Ability to competently manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment
- Must be able assist staff with various policies, administrative and organizational projects. “Team-player” as this position requires daily coordination with other coworkers.
Share This Job