WEXFORD - IDOC CONTRACT
Wexford Health Sources, the nation’s leading innovative correctional health care company, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue. This is for a Part time (20 hrs/week) Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant at Shawnee Correctional Center, Vienna IL.
Under direct supervision of the designated Wexford Health manager and the Medical Director and clinical supervision of the Medical Director, an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner or Physician’s Assistant licensed in the state of assignment is responsible and accountable for evaluating and treating inmates upon referral and acts as a consultant to the nursing staff.
The NP/PA shall provide a broad range of services to the center including assessment, identification and treatment of medical concerns, health education to patients, and illness and injury prevention.
- Perform paraprofessional medical services to the inmate population and employees as appropriate.
- Direct other less qualified health care employees in the delivery of care.
- Perform duties of an advanced technical nature.
- Assign, supervise, direct and train other health care personnel in their duties concerning patient care, personal hygiene, sanitation, etc.
- Assist in supervising the serving and proportions of special diets.
- Ensures proper medical practices are observed.
- Examine for, recognize and interpret symptoms of patient conditions.
- Participate in and assist in remedial measures and technical decisions based on sound medical practice and knowledge.
- Order medications for inmates as required or with approval of physician or dentist.
- Ensure appropriate supplies necessary for performance of duties are available.
- Prepare patients for and perform or assist in special treatments, procedures and examinations.
- Make infirmary rounds, cell house rounds and staff the screening areas as requested.
- Perform historical and physical examinations.
- Make oral and written reports when requested to do so.
- Assist or perform with supervision, minor surgical procedures.
- Enforce written policies and procedures of Wexford, the Health Care Unit and the facility.
- Utilize the SOAP charting format to document pertinent inmate information in chronological order in the health record and maintains POMR format.
- Orders appropriate diagnostic tests and procedures to effectively diagnose and treat the inmate’s health condition.
- Draws blood specimens for testing and performing other comparable procedures when personnel that customarily perform these procedures are not available.
- Initiates referrals to other members of the health care team, monitors the schedule of patients for special tests.
- Counsels inmates on preventative care, medical problems, and use of prescribed treatment.
- Performs routine wound care, minor debridement, and dressing changes.
- Generally assesses inmate’s medical status and assists the assigned physician with inmate management as required.
- Utilizes appropriate infection control techniques.
- Establishes individualized treatment plans and insures the continuity of care for inmates requiring on-going health care services.
- Completes required amount of C.E.U.’s and maintains RN/ARNP/PA licensure.
- Maintain the confidentiality of inmate records.
- Approach change in a positive manner.
- Make suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical Director and Health Care Unit Administrator.
- Accept constructive criticism in stressful situations.
- Assists with the orientation of new employees as requested or assigned.
- Upon receiving the necessary training and/or instruction, perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Conforms to Wexford Health Sources, Inc., and facility regulations as appropriate, to include, but not be limited to:
- Dress code
- Schedule/time sheet/time clock
- Safety and security regulations
- Procedure for sick leave/vacation time/education seminars
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required.
LICENSING: Currently licensed as NP or PA in the state of Illinois
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Certification from an accredited college/university as an Advanced Practice Nurse or Physician’s Assistant
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years’ experience as a NP/PA preferred.
Share This Job