WEXFORD - MOHAVE COUNTY
POSITION: Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner
LOCATION: Kingman, AZ @ Mohave County Jail
Schedule: Per Diem to help with call
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is a member of the Wexford family: a group of the nation’s leading innovative correctional health care companies. At Wexford Health Sources, Inc., our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health Sources, the nation’s leading innovative correctional health care company, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
The NP/PA shall provide a broad range of services to the center including assessment, identification and treatment of medical concerns, health education to patients, and illness and injury prevention.
- Perform paraprofessional medical services to the inmate population and employees as appropriate.
- Direct other less qualified health care employees in the delivery of care.
- Perform duties of an advanced technical nature.
- Assign, supervise, direct and train other health care personnel in their duties concerning patient care, personal hygiene, sanitation, etc.
- Assist in supervising the serving and proportions of special diets.
- Ensures proper medical practices are observed.
- Examine for, recognize and interpret symptoms of patient conditions.
- Participate in and assist in remedial measures and technical decisions based on sound medical practice and knowledge.
- Order medications for inmates as required or with approval of physician or dentist.
- Ensure appropriate supplies necessary for performance of duties are available.
- Prepare patients for and perform or assist in special treatments, procedures and examinations.
- Make infirmary rounds, cell house rounds and staff the screening areas as requested.
- Perform historical and physical examinations.
- Make oral and written reports when requested to do so.
- Assist or perform with supervision, minor surgical procedures.
- Enforce written policies and procedures of Wexford, the Health Care Unit and the facility.
- Utilize the SOAP charting format to document pertinent inmate information in chronological order in the health record and maintains POMR format.
- Orders appropriate diagnostic tests and procedures to effectively diagnose and treat the inmate’s health condition.
- Draws blood specimens for testing and performing other comparable procedures when personnel that customarily perform these procedures are not available.
- Initiates referrals to other members of the health care team, monitors the schedule of patients for special tests.
- Counsels inmates on preventative care, medical problems, and use of prescribed treatment.
- Performs routine wound care, minor debridement, and dressing changes.
- Generally assesses inmate’s medical status and assists the assigned physician with inmate management as required.
- Utilizes appropriate infection control techniques.
- Establishes individualized treatment plans and insures the continuity of care for inmates requiring on-going health care services.
- Completes required amount of C.E.U.’s and maintains RN/ARNP/PA licensure.
- Maintain the confidentiality of inmate records.
- Approach change in a positive manner.
- Make suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical Director and Health Care Unit Administrator.
- Accept constructive criticism in stressful situations.
- Assists with the orientation of new employees as requested or assigned.
- Upon receiving the necessary training and/or instruction, perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Conforms to Wexford Health Sources, Inc., and facility regulations as appropriate, to include, but not be limited to:
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required.
LICENSING: Currently licensed as NP or PA in the state of AZ
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Certification from an accredited college/university as an Advanced Practice Nurse or Physician’s Assistant
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years’ experience as a NP/PA preferred.
Share This Job