WEXFORD - ALABAMA DOC
Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation’s leading innovative correctional health care company, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Performs phlebotomy procedures and deals with complications that may arise using a variety of phlebotomy techniques to ensure the proper collection of specimen samples meets laboratory requirements. Properly prepares and packages all specimens for courier transport in a timely manner and ensures all lab work is complete and error free.
Direct supervision from Director of Nursing or Physician
None exercised in this position
Interacts with inmate patients, all medical and nursing personnel, security staff at all levels, administrative and support staff.
1. Performs a proper and successful phlebotomy procedure and deals with complications that may arise. Uses variety of phlebotomy techniques to ensure that the proper collection of specimen samples meets laboratory requirements.
Properly prepares and packages all specimens for courier transport in a timely manner and ensures all lab work is complete and error free.
2. Checks paperwork for completeness and accuracy of information; keeps lab logs, reference materials and other important data up to date; and complete and submit monthly statistical data.
3. Follows all safety precautions and requirements as outlined by Wexford Health and the institution to ensure the best possible work conditions for all.
4. Under the clinical guidance of a Registered Nurse, assists in the assessment of the physical, psychological and social dimensions of patients in the health care unit and as necessary in the housing units.
5. Assist in planning and implementing individual treatment programs in the health care unit and housing unit by utilizing available resources and consulting with registered nurses, physicians and correctional officers.
6. Implement medical plan through administering medications and intervention in
accordance with physician instructions.
7. Document nursing encounters, patient response, effectiveness, complications etc., and
communicate information to supervisory personnel and physicians in accordance with
8. Wipes down all drawing area surfaces on a daily basis.
9. Orders all laboratory supplies and keep an inventory on a monthly basis.
10. Attends staff meetings and training sessions when scheduled to ensure being up-to-date
on company policies and procedures.
11. Maintains the confidentiality of inmate records.
12. The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential duties are routinely performed in a general office and clinical environment. Duties may
require work in at a station/desk and entail paperwork, use of computers, fax machines, copiers,
and other business machines and medical equipment. Essential duties may require the following: physical demands: the strength to lift and carry material weighing up to 30 pounds; vision to read, printed materials and computer screen; walking; reaching; carrying; stooping; bending; squatting; prolonged sitting; handling (hand movement); hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone; intellectual skills including short and long term memory, abstract reasoning, and decision making.
Must be able to ambulate throughout the facility for extended periods of time; specific vision
abilities required by this job include close vision and distant vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus; must be able to clearly communicate
orally and via written and typed correspondence and notes using various forms, records, charts,
and electronic media.
This position may require rotating assignments, operating on a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week
schedule where employee is subject to both voluntary and mandatory overtime. Employee may
be exposed to a challenging environment, which may include exposure to Bloodborne and
Airborne Pathogens, and loud noises.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
LICENSING: Alabama Licensed Practical Nursing License
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Graduate of an accredited nursing school
- One (1) year clinical experience preferred
- Correctional experience preferred
- Experience with or possess the ability to work in a stressful environment
- Possess general math, analytical, planning, administrative, and organizational skills
Share This Job