WEXFORD - IDOC CONTRACT
POSITION: Registered Nurse
SCHEDULE: Full-time/ 7a-3p/ Rotating days off TH/W-EOW
FACILITY: Big Muddy River Correctional Center
LOCATION: Ina, IL
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading innovative correctional health care companies. At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
Starting Rate – $37.00/hr. plus $7500 Sign On Bonus.
Wexford Health is proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plan with partial match
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Under the direct supervision of the designated Wexford Health manager and clinical supervision from the Director of Nursing and the site Medical Director, responsible for delivery of patient care through the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. Also directs and guides patient teaching activities and ancillary personnel, while maintaining standards of professional nursing.
The Registered Nurse shall provide a broad range of services to the center including screening, assessment, medication delivery, treatment plans and patient education.
- Assesses plans and delivers nursing care to inmates.
- Provides leadership to LPNs, CNAs and other nursing paraprofessionals in patient care.
- Coordinates multiple medical services for diagnostic and treatment as directed by the Medical Director, Physician, Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner.
- Enter housing units to pass medications or other medical items and to conduct medical screening when necessary.
- Assist in minor medical or surgical procedures.
- Assist in screening of emergencies for necessity and priority for referral to physician or mid- level providers and conduct daily sick call screening
- Check and change dressings as required or as ordered.
- Maintain working knowledge of pharmacology including drug reaction/overdose.
- Maintain working knowledge of therapeutic diets and nutrition and implement as per orders.
- Maintain working knowledge of social and behavioral sciences, particularly as applied to the Correctional setting.
- Be capable of giving CPR instructions and ability to take charge in a CPR emergency.
- Maintain the Problem Oriented Medical Record (POMR).
- Administer medications including IV therapy and IM injections and all other approved routes of administration per the order of the physicians/mid level providers.
- Recommend improved procedures, equipment and supplies to the Supervisor.
- Notify supervisor and complete written reports for any medical or security incidents.
- Present/participate in in-service education sessions.
- Respond to inmate, staff or visitor medical emergencies and provide appropriate first aid or triage.
- Assesses physical, psychological and psychosocial dimensions of patients within the Health Care Unit and, as necessary, in the housing units.
- Applies knowledge of illnesses, injuries and diseases using available resources in obtaining a health history, and in the assessment process.
- Provides a written assessment of patient on admission, during confinement and on discharge as requested.
- Summarizes assessment data, and makes a triage decision which is documented and communicated to other patient care providers.
- Plans an individual treatment program.
- Utilizes available treatment protocols as written by the Medical Director.
- Utilizes referral process to appropriate health care providers as necessary.
- Applies knowledge and utilizes available resources in planning care and patient teaching.
- Consults as necessary with other nurses, physician assistants, physicians, correctional officers, etc.
- Implements an Individual Treatment Program in the Health Care Unit and, as necessary, in the housing units.
- Implements clinical and technical aspects of care in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Intervenes with proper techniques, procedures and safety precautions utilizing aseptic technique and infection control to meet individual needs of patients.
- Implements medical plan through administering medications in accordance with physician’s orders.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required.
LICENSING: Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Illinois
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: One (1) year clinical experience
Share This Job